Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
B

Bokser

Original poster
Hi guys!

I have been reading the MacRumours forums for a long time and have learnt that my next computer should be a Mac.
Now that summer promotion came, I finally decided that today was the right time to order it!

So I have just ordered:
Macbook Pro 15'',
2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
Hard Drive 250GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
Optical Drive SuperDrive 8x DL
Apple Remote

The shipping dates are estimated:
Ships by:13 Jun - 17 Jun
Delivers by:17 Jun - 24 Jun (I chose the expedited shipping)

As you can see I went with the mid-level base model, without modifying Hard Drive to 7200rpm, or CPU to 2.6GHz (altough I wanted to :), but decided first of all I will get my laptop faster if its not OTB and the hardrive can be replaced later, when 500Gb become available)

After placing an order on Apple.ca, I went to OWC and got 2x2GB memory sticks, decided to go with low latency, just for pure satisfaction :)

Now, while I am waiting, I have a question to many of you who have much more experience in this issue:

1. I will be connecting the MBP to external monitor when at home, and I would like to buy bluetooth Mouse and keyboard set for Mac. I heard that there are better alternatives other than the mighty mouse and keyboard. I would like to be able to right click on the mouse, and have a decent keyboard. Any reccomendations?

2. I have never worked in OS X before, but I read alot about it :D, should I install bootcamp straight out of the box, or do it later? I want to be able to run windows xp on it...

3. Will VM Ware be able to emulate such demaning software as Photoshop, Fritz (chess program) while still being in OS X?

Thanks a lot!!! Now I can put this icon ...soon..:apple:

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
Congratulations.

1) Logitech has a huge selection, not sure how many BT options for the wireless, but check them out.

2) You can do it at any time, but why not now before you load up any files that you are worried about losing?

3) While it should be able to do it, you will be losing a lot of performance. Is there a reason you won't use at least a native version of Photoshop?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
1. I will be connecting the MBP to external monitor when at home, and I would like to buy bluetooth Mouse and keyboard set for Mac. I heard that there are better alternatives other than the mighty mouse and keyboard. I would like to be able to right click on the mouse, and have a decent keyboard. Any reccomendations?

I have a MX Revolution and a Das Keyboard II... both are expensive, but one of the best; I have a VX Revolution for on the go; of course the best keyboard is a Unicomp Model M with a buckling springs.

2. I have never worked in OS X before, but I read alot about it :D, should I install bootcamp straight out of the box, or do it later? I want to be able to run windows xp on it...

The Bootcamp Utility comes with instructions; just read it before you install.

3. Will VM Ware be able to emulate such demaning software as Photoshop, Fritz (chess program) while still being in OS X?

Yes... except there is native Photoshop for OS X, so I see no reason to run it in VMware.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Yes... except there is native Photoshop for OS X, so I see no reason to run it in VMware.

unless you already own the windows version ;)

welcome to the mac platform!

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
unless you already own the windows version ;)

Well Adobe let me swap my Adobe software from the Windows version to a OS X version for $10 for the Mac discs. It's called a "crossgrade". Just call them to swap.

B

Bokser

Original poster
Thanks everyone for the responses!

It is helpful to know that Adobe's license can be transferred.

Now, I have some updates:

OWC's package arriver super fast, the next day (!) and everything is great, except I had to pay duty tax :(

Apple has also updated the status of my order, it says:

Jun 14, 2008 6:26 PM

Left origin

SHANGHAI CN

6:17 PM

Picked up

SHANGHAI CN

Package received after FedEx cutoff

5:24 PM

Package data transmitted to FedEx

It seems strange that my Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz (base model with no modifications) ships from Shanghai. I thought only custom built models are shipping from there?

Now I only have to wait :apple:

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
It seems strange that my Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz (base model with no modifications) ships from Shanghai. I thought only custom built models are shipping from there?

Now I only have to wait :apple:

Well if they are out of stock to ship they will ship it from the factory in Shanghai.

B

Bokser

Original poster
alphaod

Thanks very much for your responses!

I have an update, my parcel is in Alaska now :)

Code:
Jun 16, 2008   

4:03 PM 

Departed FedEx location    

ANCHORAGE, AK  

9:52 PM 

In transit    

SHANGHAI CN

It says the delivery date is June 18th, before 18:00. Cannot wait :p

Do you guys think it will be a noticable jump in performance, coming from
a 1.866 Ghz Core Duo, 1GB Ram, GeForce 6800 (HP Laptop)?

Thank you, this forum helps me through the wait :D

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
alphaod

Thanks very much for your responses!

I have an update, my parcel is in Alaska now :)

Code:
Jun 16, 2008   

4:03 PM 

Departed FedEx location    

ANCHORAGE, AK  

Thank you, this forum helps me through the wait :D[/QUOTE]

Don't get too excited yet!  It still needs to go to a Canadian gateway city where it clears customs.  [B]Then[/B] its on a truck/plane to you.

Good luck with it! I think you'll like it (my wife loves her MBP).  With enough ram in it, the VM will run most Windows applications just fine.... just remember that you will need ram for both OS X and XP (add up the two amounts to get what you will need to run both at the same time).  We never put bootcamp on the MBP, just went with a VM.  Both Parallels and VMware have trial downloads, so you can trial them before committing to one or the other.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
i have the logitech VX Revolution, its one of the best laser mouses or just get a razer/keyboard

B

Bokser

Original poster
Osarkon
The least a windows user can do is switch to XP (thats what I did), no Vista in my house :)

SchneiderMan
Thanks, I have noticed there are 2 types of the VX mouse, "nano" with a tiny transmitter and 'Revolution', which one do you think I should go with?

snberk103
I indeed plan to install VMWare, and this is one of the reasons why I got 4GB from OWC, and if the performance is not satisfactory, I can always install XP in Bootcamp, right?
I try not to get too excited, but today I have another update:

Code:
Jun 17, 2008  	 

4:01 AM 	

Departed FedEx location   	

MEMPHIS, TN  	

12:38 AM 	

Arrived at FedEx location   	

MEMPHIS, TN

I think this means now it is going to the distribution centre in my city :confused: :)

I have already browsed several topics on 'things first do with a mac', so I am feeling ready :) Just waiting for it!

bart rijksen

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2008
Osarkon
The least a windows user can do is switch to XP (thats what I did), no Vista in my house :)

SchneiderMan
Thanks, I have noticed there are 2 types of the VX mouse, "nano" with a tiny transmitter and 'Revolution', which one do you think I should go with?

snberk103
I indeed plan to install VMWare, and this is one of the reasons why I got 4GB from OWC, and if the performance is not satisfactory, I can always install XP in Bootcamp, right?
I try not to get too excited, but today I have another update:

Code:
Jun 17, 2008  	 

4:01 AM 	

Departed FedEx location   	

MEMPHIS, TN  	

12:38 AM 	

Arrived at FedEx location   	

MEMPHIS, TN

I think this means now it is going to the distribution centre in my city :confused: :)

I have already browsed several topics on 'things first do with a mac', so I am feeling ready :) Just waiting for it!

The wait is the best part! so enjoy.

viggen61

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
New Jersey
Now, while I am waiting, I have a question to many of you who have much more experience in this issue:

Thanks a lot!!! Now I can put this icon ...soon..:apple:

1) Personally, I like the Mighty Mouse. I have far fewer issues with it than I have had with others. The only BT keyboard Apple sells now does NOT have a separate number pad. THat was a deal-breaker for me. I went onto eBay and scared up an older Apple BT keyboard, brand new for about $25. Got both the wireless MM and keybaord working with my MBP.

2) If you want to run WIN XP, I would install Boot Camp straight away. The biggest thing you do is partition your HD and you're better off doing that FIRST rather than later. Both Paralells and VM Ware can use the Boot Camp partition to run Windows inside OS X. I have mine set up that way, and it works great. I can boot into Windows if I need to, or just open a window when that's more convenient.

3) Yes, but as others said, you're better off either booting to Windows or getting the cross-grade.

Enjoy!

:apple::apple:

B

Bokser

Original poster
Hi guys!!

I am typing it from Macbook Pro :)) It is sooo different!!:apple:

1) After installing bootcamp, the drive is called "untitled", can I change it to something like "windows xp" or ...?

2) How do I turn off the automatic lighting sensor, it changes brightness intermittently.

3) The font in Safari, especially bold words, look a little smeared, the font clearing settings are set for "Automatic"

4) The laptop stands on my wooden desk, it gets warm :) I was thinking about buying a stand for it with/without fans for additional cooling and leverage. I connect it to external monitor, which "mount" or "stand" would you recommend?

Thank you! :cool:

B

Bokser

Original poster
Thank you!
I am installing Office 2008 now :)

I still haven't figured out those questions..and now I have one more thing ->
I have bought the VX Revolution mouse, really like its shape and like the behaviour of it i win XP, but in Mac OS X it feels sluggish, and not so precise. I did not install any additional drivers , it recognized it itself. Do you VX mouse users have an advice on what speed settings for the mouse are optimal?

Thanks again!

I guess I should update my signature, finally!!! :):apple:

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Thank you!
I am installing Office 2008 now :)

I still haven't figured out those questions..and now I have one more thing ->
I have bought the VX Revolution mouse, really like its shape and like the behaviour of it i win XP, but in Mac OS X it feels sluggish, and not so precise. I did not install any additional drivers , it recognized it itself. Do you VX mouse users have an advice on what speed settings for the mouse are optimal?

Thanks again!

I guess I should update my signature, finally!!! :):apple:

did it say its for mac too? did you insall the cd that came with it?
it has all the options and all that after you install it

EDIT: here this is the logitech vx support page for leopard
http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com...TY2OSZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
B

Bokser

Original poster
Thank you so much!

I am full of questions still :)

Is there a fast and convenient way to "Show Desktop" , like it was in Windows?

KC2

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2008
Thank you so much!

I am full of questions still :)

Is there a fast and convenient way to "Show Desktop" , like it was in Windows?

Try F11.

Edit: Sorry, I just now realized my mistake (days later). That should be Fn+F11, not F11 itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.