Just ordered a MacBook Pro.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Southernboyj, May 13, 2012.

1. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I just ordered a MacBook Pro. (I know new ones are coming soon, didn't affect my decision)

I'm wanting to upgrade the RAM, swap the HDD to an SSD, and move the HDD to the optical bay.

My main questions are: Which SSD is best for your value? (Mostly looking for 128gb until there is a very good deal on a 256Gb)
    I've heard the Vertex 3 in which case is this the right model?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227706

And where can I find the little tray thing for the optical drive that holds your HDD?

Thank you for any help!

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

It will work.
    Go Vertex 3 or M4. Just my suggestion.

3. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

Congrats on getting a MBP you won't be disappointed at all. I am so much happier on my MBP than I ever was on my iMac or Sony Vaio. As far as the SSD goes I have a 240GB Intel 540 that cost something $330. However you can get I believe the 180 version for around $159. Intel 520 is a great drive and underwent a year of testing before it was released so you know its going to be reliable. Plus the 520 series comes a 5 year warranty so you know its going to last. Intel also makes cheaper drives like the 510 320 and 330. But I would go with an intel drive for sure, installation was a breeze and it was so simple to install and use. I have heard of people buying the optibay kits from ebay and saving themselves a nice penny so you may want to check there for the kit.

4. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Thanks man, I'll check ebay happen to know the name of it?

Also I'm still keeping my iMac :p I love it too much haha.

5. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

I believe you want to search for MBP optibay adaptor. I still have my iMac and MBA just sadly they are rather neglected due to my love of my MBP plus I put my money in the MBP. I have upgraded my RAM to 8GB and add the Intel 520 240GB SSD which was well worth it. Now with my upgrade my MBP blows circles around my iMac and MBA.

6. taedouni macrumors 65816

Please do yourself a favor and return the Macbook Pro that you just purchased. Instead wait for less than a month for WWDC. I guarantee that Apple will announce their new line of Mac products or at least sell them on that day.

7. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I needed one now, plus I bought a Refurb, I'm on a budget so getting a 2012 isn't really an option.

8. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Congratulations, you've made an excellent choice.

You've got a great model that is very well debugged & proven. There's a lot to be said for that. My years of experience with Apple laptops have revealed, the first generation of a completely new model is to be avoided. By the second year, it's well debugged, refined, and worth buying.

In the mean time you'll be enjoying your new Mac so much, you will be thrilled you bought it. And by the way, Apples refurbs are stellar.

Cheers... :)

9. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Thanks, and yeah.. It's my first MacBook, but its not my first Mac.. I've also had many iOS devices. I know their release cycle (well estimates like everyone else) But I figure one of the main things the new MacBook Pro will have is Ivy Bridge, and to me paying 1,100 after tax for a Sandy bridge is better than like 1,450 after tax for the 2012 model when it comes out. Especially since its a secondary computer and I have an iMac and the 3rd gen iPad.

10. Liquinn Suspended

I bought a Macbook Pro last Wednesday and couldn't be happier; the thing is there's always something newer/better around the corner xD

11. StuLax18 macrumors 6502

Dat justification.

12. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

13. colour macrumors regular

what kind of guarantee are you offering ?

14. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

In light of your post, it does make me wonder, I'd read plenty of the rumors of the 2012 MacBook Pro being announced at WWDC. But, wouldn't it make MORE sense for the MacBook Air to be refreshed first? Considering the MBP was last updated Oct. 2011 and the MBA was July 2011?

15. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

No the october update was not a "proper" one so to speak the real updates will most likely come out next week.

16. colour macrumors regular

What I would really like is for apple to stop releasing ipads and phones and to redesign a computer, enough spec bumps it's getting a little lame.

17. Kendo macrumors 68000

It would make more sense only if they are minimal refreshes.

But if the new MacBook Pro is a complete redesign, they will give their flagship product more coverage.

Did you see the Front Page? The new release is imminent!

18. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

The low voltage models of the new Ivy Bridge line that would be needed for the MBA aren't out yet.

19. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Oct was a spec bump, far from a redesign

20. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I know the October upgrade was very small, just stating MBP was last to be updated.

21. Liquinn Suspended

I suppose one thing about buying now is, you know it's a model that's been tested and used through the years, a new re-design may have problems. Just my 2c.

22. StuLax18 macrumors 6502

Sounds just like someone who was waiting forever for the 2012, but just bought a 2011.

Oh wait...

23. Ccrew macrumors 68020

I didn't wait forever, but I can understand. I waited for a bit, but upgraded from a late 2011 13" to a late 2011 15". Spec's were fine, and I actually use the ODD.

While I like the new ones, lack of an ODD and no ethernet port don't thrill me. Besides, I'm always leery of a first year design, been burned way too many times with cars that I "had to have" only to buy a first year bugfest.

24. GrassHoppa10 macrumors member

I just last week bought a config-to-order Macbook Pro 15" 2.4 i7 Quadcore with HD display and 7200rpm 750GB HD. Ordered 16GB memory for it. Personally I am very pleased with all aspects of the current MBP. I don't care what they come out with for new version of it. The current version is built like a tank, and works for me for next 5 years. Will install 512GB SSD down the road.

I don't think you have to have the latest version - nor will it always be better.

25. srxtr macrumors 6502a

It will always be better.

If Apple ever takes a step backward then I'd say they're in trouble