Just ordered a Macbook!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bluush, Apr 20, 2007.

1. bluush macrumors 6502

Just checked the refurb store and found a c2d 2ghz 1g ram white Macbook for 1099 and ordered it! This will be my first Mac. Can't wait!

My question, can I take Macbook to my local Apple Store and have them replace the 2 512meg ram sticks with 2 1gig ram sticks? And if so, about how much $ will that run me? I mostly want 2 gigs of ram because I'm not sure Leopard (when it comes out) will run well on 1 gig?

Other than that, I'm quite excited! I've saved $ for quite a while for this!

2. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

Leopard will run absolutely fine on 1GB of RAM, it all depends on what applications your going to be using, if you consider yourself a power user, then you may want to upgrade to 2GB. Otherwise, 1GB will be absolutely fine.

My advice though, buy the RAM from a supplier such as Crucial, or get some off of NewEgg. Apple is rather expensive for RAM.

3. Carrot007 macrumors regular

Carrot007

Congratulations I sure the macbook will serve you well, it's a great machine!

As for the ram, I bought mine from crucial, it's cheaper and really easy to install (but be sure get the right screwdriver as some of the little screws tend to be in really tight!)

4. bluush thread starter macrumors 6502

But won't that ruin my warranty?

5. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

Not at all, the RAM and Hard drive are user replaceable parts. In other words, Apple have given us the ability to replace these items ourselves without doing anything to our warranties.

There are guides on how to install RAM on the Apple website.

6. bluush thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, I didn't even know that. Great to know, thank you. Could you give me the url to Crucial for the specific RAM I would need? (Sorry if this is becoming too annoying for you)

7. bluush thread starter macrumors 6502

8. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

Glad you got it. Crucial are one of the manufacturers that guarantee Mac compatibility, so you should be in good hands with them. I certainly was.

9. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

Congo Rats! I hope you enjoy your MacBook, I can't wait til I can pull the trigger to get my own.

Just like everyone else that posted, I would purchase RAM upgrades aftermarket rather then from Apple. You will save a lot of extra money. Good luck!

10. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

I've had bad luck with Crucial RAM, OSX is picky about it and I kept getting kernel panics. I ended up getting used OEM RAM on ebay and it's worked perfectly and was cheaper.

If you upgrade, I'm calling dibs on your two 512mb sticks if you sell them. :D

11. jotadeo macrumors regular

I know you found the info for Crucial already, but FYI, dealram.com is a good place to start when looking for...well, RAM. The same people run dealmac.com, dealnews.com (more for PC stuff and general tech), dealink.com, dealcam.com, dealcoupon.com, and even her.dealnews.com ("Deals for her"). They have links to all their sites usually near the top of each page, though they're not very consistent with the placement of the links (a minor annoyance).

Good luck with your new MB! I'm just about an hour away from heading out to get my MBP at my school's tech store. It'll be my second Mac and my first laptop (well, I'm not counting the piece o' crap PC that my friend sold me for $90 six years ago). Woohoo!!! From what I can tell the store has completely current models, the same ones the Apple Store sells, that is. I just hope they have the glossy screen ones in stock!
    jdo

p.s. Did I mention that I'm getting a MBP??? Yipeeeeee!!! :D :D :D

EDIT: I thought I should add that dealram is pretty good because you can search by what kind of system that you have...i.e. you don't have to remember the type of RAM you're looking for and type it in. Instead, you're just a couple of easy, intuitive clicks away from getting a list of officially supported RAM and other RAM that is "not labeled by the seller for use with this system. However, it is the same type of RAM used in this system and may be compatible. Check with the seller before buying."

12. jotadeo macrumors regular

Crapola!!! I just found out that they DON'T carry the glossy screen models. They say I have to order directly from :apple: for that. Well, I'll have to call around to see if other places like Comp Usa offer the education discount. I wanted to have this for the weekend. :mad: (where's the crying smiley???) ( ; _ ; )

jdo

13. bluush thread starter macrumors 6502

FedEx Track Shipments
    Ship date Apr 20, 2007
    Estimated delivery Apr 24, 2007

Status On FedEx vehicle for delivery

To say I'm giddy with anticipation would be the understatement of the year! :D

14. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

I hope you enjoy yours! You got exactly what I'm planning on getting, I just haven't pulled the trigger yet. Enjoy!

15. bluush thread starter macrumors 6502

So my Macbook came today. I've spent the last hour or two going over the latop with a very detailed eye and cannot find a single blemish. I was worried about buying a refurb but aside from coming in a brown box instead of the retail box, I cannot detect a single thing that I'm unhappy with. Well, the spacebar seems ever-so-slightly flimsy, but I presume I'm just being overly picky. I'm currently installing all the updates, 300 megs worth!

16. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

First of all, congratulations for getting a mac.:)
    Second of all, why is the software updates so big? Did the MacBook come with Mac OS 10.4.8 or 10.4.9?

17. bluush thread starter macrumors 6502

I honestly have no idea how to even check what it came with, but it says the Mac OS X Update (Intel) is 163 megs. This is my first time using Mac OS and I'm trying to learn my way through this. Right now I'm stumped on how to make it recognize my external HD so I can add all my music to iTunes.

18. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Press the :apple: logo on the top left corner of the screen and click About This Mac.