Just ordered a MBP 15 inch feeling guilty

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by elVince, Mar 21, 2011.

1. elVince, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2011

elVince macrumors newbie

Despite looking through windows laptops and comparing various specs and prices, i've finally decided on mac and just placed an order for the high end 15 inch mbp with ag, and i am starting to feel very guilty about this purchase. I'm starting to rethink my planned uses and logic of buying it in the first place.

Should i just move to the 13 inch in terms of using it for school (Econ major, which isn't much) and personal daily computer as a replacement for my desktop. I would like to play some games but I've thought about it and i have an xbox for that, and the only game i will probably be playing is from the counter strike source era and l4d 2 or games older than these. But i do want my computer to last as long as possible as I'm using my current desktop for about 6 years and it wasn't that great to start with, and i was thinking that if i load up on specs now, my mbp will out live the lifespan of my current desktop.

prices basically come down to
    high end 15 inch with anti glare $2339 (basically paying that 200 dollar difference for video card?
    low end 15 inch with anti glare $2114
    the high end 13 inch $1537
    If i go beyond that there are April 2010 models of 13 inchers for ~1000

My logic is that since the 15 inch is more powerful it will outlast the 13 inch. But will the life span of one mbp model at the price of ~1500 and a future mbp model at ~1500 outlast the high end 15 inch im buying now in terms of being outdated/slow/sluggish/laggy? How future proof is it really compared to a hypothetical future model of mbp 13 inchers?

I've also heard something about intel coming out with ivy bridge(?) next year and this is the next possible update for mbp's within a year? But imo that is out of the question for my scenario as I'll be transferring to a university in the fall and will be living on my own but not far enough to stay there for anything longer than a month or two and i do not want to be constantly moving/plugging/unplugging my desktop around. But because of this increase in technology at such a fast rate, maybe the future proof of the 15 inch isn't all that necessary/plausible, which just comes to just being able to use the computer in the first place, and if thats the case maybe the 13 inch is ok then?

And honestly how much gaming can i squeeze into my current schedule in college, i dont think i'll realistically be able to push in as much game time as i can with my current schedule and i can only imagine life to be more hectic after transfering. So maybe replace game with light gaming and watching videos/movies ? So maybe i've answered my own question and I should go for the 13 inch? what should i do?

And this might sound contradicting but either way i will be spending a large majority of my time on my computer, if this is a factor or not.
    btw i use to play starcraft religiously for years before, and i'm not sure if i want to get into starcraft 2 or not but it is under my belief that only the high end 15 inch works well on it?

2. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

Depends if you really care about portability or not. I have a 15" MBP and I wouldn't trade it for a 13" because I just care too much for the extra space in the screen.

3. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

Just get the 15'' high res and you won't have any regrets to linger over :rolleyes:

4. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

Do you need a brand new one? Why don't you pick up a used unibody on ebay or CL. Or even a refurb on apple site. Could save a lot of money that way.

5. dizmonk macrumors regular

Keep it

I bought the 13 inch in November and am very happy with it. In retrospect I should have given the 15inch more consideration (mainly for the screen benefits)...

I would keep it.

6. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

I'm in a similar delima myself. Cant decide between the basic 13" model or the 15" and if its worth the extra $600 for the long run. What worries me about the 13" is the dual core cpus as I can see Apple discontinuing support for them in 3-5 years.

7. brentsg macrumors 68030

That's the last thing I'd be worried about.

8. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

I might get flamed for this, but the 13" MBP is the netbook I always hoped that netbooks would be (and weren't).

It is fast and quiet enough to be my mobile platform, but if it were my primary laptop / desktop, I might go mad.

If you need screen space and you want to play games without trying to hear over the screeching fans, I suggest the 15".

Don't get me wrong...I LOVE the 13" i5 MBP but that means that my needs match its performance characteristics.

R

9. X2468 macrumors regular

I've had good service from my 13, but found I did a lot of scrolling.

So I bought a 2010 hi-res antiglare 15" MBP. It's ideal and hardly any bigger in overall size so it is very portable. In hindsight at least for me, buying the 13 was a mistake. Live & learn.

10. AFPoster macrumors 65816

Most people get nervous or feel worried after a big purchase like this, once you get it though that all goes away.

11. Peterpot macrumors member

Peterpot

I have the 13", and I have to say that for Starcraft 2 it's horrible. You can't even read the text at the highest resolution. Thankfully I have my desktop for all of my gaming, but if you're getting the computer to be your all-in-one machine then I would definitely recommend the 15"

12. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I agree with this. Pre-sales too.

Go with what you can afford and will make you happy.

13. eaf7s macrumors regular

You'd be FINE with a 13" i7, and if you need a matte screen sometimes and want extra screen space occasionally, grab an external monitor. The 13" is incredibly light and portable. And even with that added, it'd still be significantly cheaper.

14. vettefanZR1 macrumors newbie

I felt the same thing when i bought my MBP, but once you get the box and open it you loosen up a bit.

15. iRacer macrumors member

If you don't really need a high end 15" for school, another model to consider is the low end 13" for $1200 (less ed discount), use it for 2-3 yrs and then upgrade to the next low end 2013 13". So for similar money you'll get a mid-use bump and the new 13" will more than likely be quicker and more future proof than the 2011 15"

16. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

+1 for this. Sound judgment. 13" seems to be ideal for students on the go. Really, if you don't plan to game on it, I think the 13" is definitely the best deal.

17. josh1231 macrumors regular

As opposed to letting your predicted usage patterns govern what model you get, why don't you let your budget decide. If you have the money, the 15" is a nice upgrade, if you don't, the 13" is going to satisfay most of your needs. The 15" model doesn't have to be for gaming, pretty much anything you do is going to be great.

Without being able to look at your financials, I don't know how much any of us can really help.

18. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

Before n after

The reality is you made your decision and have a bit of buyers remorse. It's normal after a purchase of this magnitude. If you had asked BEFORE, I think the low end Macbook Pro, perhaps with an aftermarket SSD would have been a better choice for your needs and budget.

But again, you'll love your new 15" tricked out machine. And amortized over a 4 year life of the laptop, what's the difference? About $200 a year? To ease your conscience, stop buying beer on the weekends or something.

19. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

Snatch one of the mba 13 w/ 4 gig if one becomes available in refurb'd section and call it a day.

Honestly, those of you who are not sure whether 15 inch is needed or not probably should not get it.

20. tdream macrumors 65816

13 inch is definitely the best bang for buck. If you look at the rest of the line up, it's clearly designed for upsell to maximise profits. Which is great for apple for not great for the consumer. $/€300 price increments are ludicrous, especially when you consider the limited hardware differences. $/€600 increase from 13 inch base to 15 inch base, absolutely ripoff. And to get a decently specced macbook you have to start looking at the high end 15 inch which starts at $/€2199.... well I sooner drop a bar of soap in a prison shower than buy one of those.

21. tdream macrumors 65816

It's $300 difference between models.

Your logic if used last year would be proven incorrect as this year's base 13 is more powerful than last years top end 15.

22. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

How about this one...

I LOVE the portability my 11" MBA has.. but I want to game and have more storage too. This little thing gets the job done business wise, but I would like to have something with more balls.

So, the 13" MBP & Air is out... This means if I want to keep OSX, I have to tote around a 15". And my friend, you have the one I would buy. This has to be the best 15" MBP ever made.

I still have my Sony Z. That is one badass machine too. The PPI is INSANE! (1920X1080 @ 13") Also, I love the portability. But alas, no OSX.

Ring around the rosie