Just ordered a MBPr 13"...thoughts? opinions? experiences?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thedeejay, Jun 25, 2014.

1. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

I recently lost my MBA 13" [2012, i7, 8GB, 256SSD, HD4000]. I shouldn't say lost, someone stole it. I really needed another laptop for work so I bit the bullet and ordered a refurbished MacBook Pro Retina 13" [i5, 8GB, 256SSD, Iris]. I know it's close to refresh time but I can't wait and I don't regret it one bit. I had an option of getting the MBPr with Intel HD 4000 for $1269, or another Air [2012, same model as my earlier one with 256, i7] for $1269 or Mid-tier 13" MBPr current model for $1319. So I said what the heck, may as well go for Retina. How are your experiences with it? I did a bit of research on the graphics card and it seems Iris performs better compared to HD4000, but it's not like I game, it's just day to day use. Mostly multitasking, word processing, browsing. Work related stuff. What are your experiences like?

Thanks for your input.

2. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

I just picked up a base model rMBP this evening. It was supposed to be for my wife but I am loving the retina so much that I am keeping it for myself and she is taking my Air. I love the Air's form factor and most everything about it, but the retina is so much easier on your eyes that to me it's worth slight weight increase and such.

I think you will be more than happy with the purchase. I also knew a refresh was likely happening soon but I was able to score a base model rMBP for 960 or so before taxes so I took it! Enjoy the new machine.

3. TheColtr macrumors regular

I got the base model and am loving it. I thought the 4gb of ram would choke the device out in no time but it is running like a champ with Final Cut pro, iTunes, Spotify, a few other misc programs running. It performs really well in playing games too.

4. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

I too was concerned about 4gb of ram in both the Air and rMBP. Too much forum reading will have you believe that you need more than 4gb ram to even turn the machine on but so far both of mine(me and wife's) are blazing along with 4gb.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think 4GB is fine of most uses but because the ram is soldered onto the logic board, I usually recommend boosting it since you don't know the future and apps only get more bloated as time goes on.

I do think that OSX has an excellent memory manager so people's reactions to 4GB is a little extreme. The computer isn't going to stop working with 4GB and thanks to the SSD, swapping out isn't that painful (so to speak)

6. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Absolutly amazing performance. the 13 rMBP blows away my early 2011 MBP in everything from GPU performance to battery.

7. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

I've been working with 5GB for years (okay a little more than 4GB but not by much), doing lots of FCPX work. My memory pressure never turns orange, let alone red. 4GB really is no punishment at all.

8. thedeejay thread starter macrumors 65816

thedeejay

It's a bit of what both of you said. I was coming from an 8GB Air, so I felt a bit of a "downgrade". If you know what I mean. I think part of that has to do with forum reading, where I feel that 4GB isn't much and also with what maflynn said which is, I don't change my devices every year (only iPhone). I hold onto all my devices until they die out or are too slow/sluggish. With that being said I wanted 8GB to "future-proof" it. How well it holds up is to be determined. I hope it's fine. I'm glad to read that 4GB gets the job done though. I'm not as worried anymore. How's the experience with mission control? or iTunes?

9. jg321 macrumors 6502

I have the exact same model as you. Blows my old 13" Early 2011 pro (upgraded to SSD myself) and my i7 work 13" pro out of the water.

Love the display, love the PCI-Express SSD. Love the machine.

Went 8GB/256GB for same reason as you. Want to keep it for many years to come.

10. thedeejay thread starter macrumors 65816

thedeejay

Just got the machine today, boy do I have to say I LOVE it:apple:

11. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Fantastic machine - just got one for my son. I think the 2.4/8/256 version and the base 15" model are the sweet spots.