Just Ordered a Momentus XT 500

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by logicpro7, Dec 27, 2010.

1. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,
    Just ordered a Momentus XT 500GB for my 2009 MBP after buying 8GB RAM since its so cheap at the minute.

I work with Music, so i should hopefully see a better performance than my Apple / Hitachi 500GB 5400 drive.

I have an external G-Drive connected and set up as a Time Machine, what is the best way of installing the Momentus XT without having to re install my software and everything?

Cheers.

2. Kyffin macrumors 6502

A clean install isn't too much hassle- just install the OS from your installation disks then you can install everything else in one fell swoop from your time machine through migration assistant.

Of course, you could still just carry on where you left off by doing a straight install from time machine but there isn't much difference in time between the two.

Third option is to make a clone with Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper which is probably the easiest and fastest way to go.

Depends how much time you want to spend doing it and whether you have any OS artefacts you want to rid of I suppose.

3. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I did this recently and used SuperDuper! to clone my drive. Then put on the new one and booted up. Seamless. I had my new drive and all my files and programs exactly how I left them.

4. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Super duper and Carbon Copy Cloner? I think are highly favored. I like CCC myself. Was flawless for me.