Just ordered a New 3.06 24 iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jimyo, Jul 23, 2008.

1. jimyo macrumors newbie

This is my first post here. Last night I just ordered a new24 ' iMac 3.06 500gb HD 4 gigs of ram with wireless keyboard and mouse...I have a 3 year old G5 iMac with 1.5 gigs of ram and the G5 2.0 Power PC processor. My question is how much or a performance change will I notice and is the audio better with the new model. I loved my old one but after 3 years I thought it was time for a change..Thanks for any input..Jim

2. jywv8 macrumors 6502

I went from a PowerMac G5 (Dual 2 Ghz, 2.5 GB of RAM) to 24-in iMac (3.06 GHz, 2 GB RAM). I find the iMac much faster/snappier and much quieter. For me, it is very noticeable.

I can't really comment on the audio, because I don't really know what you mean, but I like the built-in speakers so much I sold the 2.1 system I was using with the G5.

Enjoy your iMac!

3. candyman macrumors regular

I had a PM G5 (DP 2.5GHz) and although I haven't been able to really test it yet (just got it yesterday afternoon), it does feel much snappier/peppier to me. My old tower had 6GB of RAM. I upgraded this to 4GB yesterday. I notice a very large improvement in the general use of the OS and interaction/machine response over my old G5.

Sound is better than I would have expected for a desktop like this. Nothing that will blow you away, but great for everyday use. Can't really compare it to a G5 iMac though. I think you will notice a large difference between the two models as I have been able to see much improvement over the PPC G5.

Welcome to the 3GHz iMac club!