Just ordered a new Imac...I am trembling!!!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Chucky666UK, May 18, 2008.

1. Chucky666UK macrumors member

Hi guys,

Been strolling around these forums for last few days... finally convinced to order an iMac.... just ordered one 5 mins ago from Apple UK, with following custom Spec :

2.8Ghz
    24" Screen
    500 Gb Hardrive
    4Gb Ram
    Wireless Mouse
    8800 GS

order cam to £1318... i have never had a mac before... but have played around with a few in PC World... and I love the design/style (being a gadget fan).. didnt really need it but i fell in love with the machine.... now problem is... when the wife gets back home from shopping.... She's gonna MURDER me!"!! Need some ideas guys... and some moral support... never paid so much for a Computer before...

2. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

I suggest that you cancel the order before she gets home. :eek:

3. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Tell her your old one was too slow for the work you have to do.

4. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

She'll love it. Even my mum (who hates computers) loves our new iMac.

Keep it, it'll give you a good lifespan (my original iMac is 10 years old and still going strong) and work much better along the way...

5. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

Do you remember how you felt when you got your first PC? That's the feeling a PC switcher gets when he starts playing/working with a new Mac. It's worth a divorce. :)

6. Chucky666UK thread starter macrumors member

LOL!!!...Thanks for the advice guys... i am terribly excited... says it will ship in four days.. so maybe thursday/friday delivery... maybe i should keep quiet about it until it is delivered (i will be at work).. then...... i dont know!!!!!

7. Gentile macrumors regular

Gentile

Find things around the house to sell - including any Windows computers.

Work over time or find a part time job. Convince her of the value of the iMac. It centralizes all your photos, tv shows, and home movies.

8. bartelby macrumors Core

Just act all surprised and thank her for the gift. She'll be so confused she'll just think she ordered it and forgot.

9. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

I'm tellin' yea dude ... cancel the order .... your gonna catch s**t!! :eek:

Then convince her and reorder. :D

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

At least you're out in the world... It won't be long before we see some kid on here panicking about how he ordered his dream Mac Pro (accidentally or on purpose) and doesn't know what to tell his parents...

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Just say "Weren't you just out shopping buying stuff also?"

Seriously, always check with your wife before making major purchases, and do that from now on.

12. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Yeah its def worth the divorce :D

I'd just sell your old PC, and some other junk on ebay.

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

OMG, tell her, lest she sends it back as a mistake. :eek:

(Yes, my iMac is 3 months old, today. Happy Birthday baby. :D)

14. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

Apart from the fact that it looks beautiful and has no nasty wires (wives hate wires don't they!)

Tell her that she can now surf the web and use her credit card in the confidence that there will be no spyware/keyloggers taking a copy of her CC number and sending it across the net. Reports say that 25% of all PC's with spyware and AV s/w STILL have some form of malware - that's a very worrying thing for a husband to have to deal with!! ;)

Plus when she actually uses it for a few weeks and starts to do things that she simply couldn't before she'll realise it's pretty awesome. Also, make sure she's there for the 'welcome' video that runs on first boot up - that always impresses - makes her feel 'part of it' too..

It'll take a while before she realises that it IS different from a PC - her own personal user experience will make her realise it's a very smart move.

Don't forget the re-sale value and the fact that this little beauty will last years and still be worth hundreds more pounds when you come to sell it than a junky PC.

There really are a ton of genuinely valid reasons to have made a wise investment in a Mac than merely buying another crappy Vista PC - I think she'll realise that if she just gives it a chance...

Anyway, good luck and enjoy your new Mac - you ordered a great spec iMac...Your going to love it!

15. JCCash macrumors regular

It’s easier to get forgiveness then it is permission. Enjoy your iMac!

16. JunBug119 macrumors 6502

be a man and tell her it's your money and you do what you please. then tell her to get in the kitchen and make you something to eat.
    J/K! i want a mac mini but my girlfriend says no and tells me to save money. yes, we're not married but she's already training me :(

17. RealaT macrumors regular

I went though the same thing with my wife...

Bought my MacBook Pro on impulse without telling her, bought my Mac Mini on impulse without telling her, and bought HER iBook G4 without telling her

I STILL haven't told her about the MacBook I just got cheap on eBay... i'll have to phase it into the house somehow because I can't think of any logical reason why I should have bought it in the first place

Oh well, she's due to give birth to our first child tomorrow so maybe she'll be confused and I can say it was always there :D

18. JunBug119 macrumors 6502

Congrats on your soon-to-be first child!!

It's funny, whenever I tell my girlfriend I want to buy something I get the firm "NO". But, when I tell her I'm buying her a WII or some kind of accessory for it I get the girly, cutesy, "OK". :rolleyes:

19. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

Why don't you let her spend £1318 on shoes..... :eek:

20. timsutcliffe macrumors 6502

Cancel

i think i'd be tempted to cancel the order, and then discuss it with her before spending that kind of money. I doubt she'll be too pleased about it.

Does she know you were thinking about buying one?

21. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

You don't need moral support, you need to discuss this with your wife. How would you feel if she spent £1318 without telling you? It's a fine computer, but a good marriage is worth more. Best wishes.

22. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

The order came to £13.18...

The order came to £13.18...

Lets face it, you will probably get in the s**t for it, but no matter what you do that happens anyway. She will be hacked for a bit then she will love it and will forget about the whole thing. Women are totally unpredictable but at the same time the complete opposite :confused: :confused: :rolleyes: There arent enough emoticons to describe them!!

23. Chucky666UK thread starter macrumors member

Ok, I have told her.... she asked how much?... and i'm like... about 900 quid ish... (sorry dont have the guts to tell her the full price yet!!!)... and she's like why??... and I'm like.. I need to it to plan lessons and Schemes of Work (I am an Assistand Head of Maths at my school see!)... she asked if I paid cash... and eeerrrmm.... Nope... paid on C/C......she's like WHAT!!!! ... to be honest i can pay for it up front.. got the cash... still i dont know why i paid by credit card... it's just one of those 'Crazy fits' I get..... damn.... four days to go still.....

PS... Reala T... congrats in advance BOY!!!

24. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

My powerbook was almost 2800 euro 3 years ago, I never asked my wife. Just got home with it from work an started to use it. She never asked what's the cost and she never used it. Now I'm planning to buy a Mac Pro and a display.

25. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

Congratulations on your first mac! But you payed Apple for 4 gigs of ram, big mistake!