Just ordered a new MacPro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by R.Youden, Jul 2, 2007.

1. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Well after a frantic last few days I have jumped for a new MacPro. A few weeks ago my house was hit by lightening and I lost my old PowerMac which was a shame as it was a great little computer.

Anyway I need the power and the PCI slots for the work I am currently undertaking so my laptop wasn't going to last so I jumped for the following:

MacPro:
    2.66GHz
    1GB RAM
    250GB HD
    ATi X1900XT
    Bluetooth + Airport

and I added an Airport extreme base station as that was also taken out.

That was one damn expensive lightening storm. I was going to get a new Mac in the Autumn but I need the system now so I had to jump ship. Ah well. Should be here in about a week.

And before anyone says anything, I know I don't need the ATi card, but I managed to sell a few things on eBay over the last few weeks so I treated myself to the extra £150.

2. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Sounds great. Good luck to you. And get some good surge protection! :apple:

3. SolidShadow macrumors member

Congrats on the new machine. If I was ordering right now, I'd get the same thing with some 3rd party RAM and a 23" ACD on the side.

4. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I already have a 20" Dell monitor which I will keep.

I was looking at the 23" Display but:

a) I have a gap for a 20" monitor on my desk

b) I have hear reports of problems with Bootcamp + X1900XT + 23" displays not working

5. iBeard macrumors regular

6. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Will you be replacing the PC in your sig?

7. fredr500 macrumors regular

Actually, if that is all you lost it was a cheap lightning storm.

I got it by lightning last year and had $100K damage done to the house, and about $50K to contents, including my PC Workstation.

Insurance is buying me a new Mac Pro along with a lot of other stuff.

Surge protectors, battery back up units, etc do nothing against a direct hit. That's what homeowner's or renter's insurance is all about. And whatever limits you have, increase them, they aren't enough.

Oh yea, put a smoke detector in your attic. Today. If not for a neighbor calling the fire department I would have lost the entire house and contents.

Fred

8. Mustard Chops macrumors regular

I got the same spec delivered last week! You'll love it until you realise the superdrive is DOA and you need to send the machine back to Apple...

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

9. iBeard macrumors regular

10. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

11. thagomizer macrumors 6502

12. iBeard macrumors regular

I'm not sure yet.

I don't know if the Mac Pro in Bootcamp will game any better than my current PC.

I've heard some issues with the x1900xt and the harddrive in Bootcamp, so...

13. WizardHunt macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

Congrats on your new Mac Pro. I am wanting one so bad, but hanging in until Leopard comes out in Oct so I don't have to upgrade if I buy now.

14. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

15. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

Congrats on the new Mac. 100% you will enjoy it. :)

16. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

congrat's, You'll both Love those Mac Pro's, Best move i ever made after living with a Windows pc for years, it was a 24" imac or the Mac Pro, i chose and i'm still grinning from ear to ear :D

17. AJClayton macrumors 6502

AJClayton

Nice one! :)

Great machine as it is, but might be worth chucking in some third party RAM. But that's the beauty of the Pro, you can throw in more RAM and hard drives as and when you need it.

I have a similar machine bought in April, but with 3GB of RAM, 1TB across bays 2 and 3 (saving bay 4 for Time Machine) but the bogo standard 7300GT video card. I wasn't sure about the "cheesegrater" case but even that looks wonderful to me now and the design that went into the insides of the computer made me grin from ear to ear as I fitted my extra memory and drives with ease!

Enjoy!

18. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Hopefully it will be with me within a week or so.

My only shame is that it will have to sit on the floor as my desk isn't big enough (or strong enough) for the MacPro.

19. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

I wish I could have a mac pro just for the expansion and knowledge that it would last for years and years. Alas, I don't need anything more than a cube (which I love) for 95% of my uses.

20. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I agree 100%. I hate it when I am in a shop like PC World and a bloke goes in to buy a machine for emails and websurfing, they come out having spent nearly £2k, crazy.

Unfortunately I need that bit extra, and so so does apple need that bit extra of my cash!

21. flappo macrumors regular

my dad's imac has just gone kaput , so i'm giving him my dc and getting a mac pro

i guess it'll be ok for surfing the web and emails

:)