Just ordered an Apple SSD off eBay

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rdowty, Sep 5, 2011.

1. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

I didn't get a SSD when I bought my MBP because I knew the SATA III drives were coming out and they were much faster but after waiting all these months I've come to the conclusion that SATA III + MBP = trouble. When Apple starts shipping MBP's with SATA III drives I'll buy one but until then I'm going to play it safe.

Congrats to everyone with SATA III drives that aren't having any issues. I'll join you in about 12 months hopefully.

2. yui4 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Is the apple toshiba ssd any good in comparison with the performance of samsung 470?

I've seen an apple ssd for sale but if they are not as fast as aftermarket I will leave it alone

3. rdowty thread starter macrumors 6502a

rdowty

Assuming it works without issue the Samsung is probably faster but I thought the Apple drive would be more marketable in 6-12 months when I can get a SATA III that's supported. Apple actually puts there logo on the drives and everyone that's bought an Apple computer up to and including now hopefully knows if they want a SSD that works that's the one to get.

4. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Ive actually heard many people complain having the Toshiba drive instead of the samsung.
    If you go to Apple and ask for a replacement, they will do it for you for free buy in my opinion aftermarket seems to be faster and more cheaper.

5. rdowty thread starter macrumors 6502a

rdowty

I hadn't heard of Apple using anything but Toshiba drives in MBP's.

6. yui4 macrumors 6502

just searched web. it appears that many people are unhappy with the toshibas performance and have tried to get a device with the apple samsung alternative as the performance is much better in the samsung models.