Just Ordered an iMac - Have I been Appled?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MarkF786, Mar 30, 2008.

  1. MarkF786 macrumors member

    Sep 21, 2006
    On Saturday I ordered a new iMac from Amazon with one day delivery; I should have known to check the forums first to see the speculation on when the next-gen iMacs were due. I've been through this already with my MBP and my wife's MB, being Appled twice already ("being Appled" = buying something new only to find within a short time afterwards that what you just bought has recently been upgraded, dramatically lowering the value of what you bought).

    I've been considering 1) refusing delivery on the shipment, awaiting for Apple to announce the new iMac or 2) accepting it but waiting until at least Tuesday to see if the new iMac is released, and if so, returning the iMac.

    I'm not too bothered by a slight processor upgrade - from what I've read, the Penryn is not that much of a difference - but I'd be frustrated if there were a big upgrade in the next-gen, shortly following my purchase.

    Should I refuse delivery and wait it out? Uggh... Apple.

  2. clyde2801 macrumors 601


    Mar 6, 2008
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    I think as long as it's not opened, you can return it in 14 days for a full refund.
  3. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

    Mar 15, 2008
    Introducing a new version the day after you buy the old doesn't matter, except in your mind. You'll still have exactly what you paid for, doing exactly what you thought it would do. If you want to worry that a new model will come out and yours will be obsolete you should never buy anything. The world economy is based on the hope that everyone will always have a reason to replace the stuff they own with a newer model. The dealership I bought my car from keeps sending me worrying mailings. They are SURE (statistically) that I should be trading in for a new car by now and want to be where I trade at. I generally keep cars for 15 years or so, but they don't know that. ;) Besides, if I buy an new one today I'm SURE they'll have a newer model tomorrow! You can't call that being Apple'd, since it has nothing to do with Apple. You can call it commerce, though.

    My point? Enjoy your new computer! Forget about what Apple will do in the future. The worry is pointless.
  4. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

    Aug 4, 2005
    Damn you Apple. Damn you to hell. How dare you update your products and how dare you act as if you're some sort of business trying to make a profit by selling a product.
  5. iTransAm95 macrumors newbie

    Mar 19, 2008
    United States
    You know, I wouldnt worry about it, I just bought an imac and I love it...my wife loves it, we are happy...if they were to come out with a new one next week, oh well...now if it was newer, faster, bigger screen, more features and cheaper, I would be a little frustrated and maybe try to return it and get the new one of course...but I have not read of any BIG changes on the imac so Im happy with what I got...
  6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

    Nov 7, 2007
    New Sanfrakota
    There won't be a big upgrade.
  7. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030


    Jul 13, 2007
    MD & ATL,GA
    Yeah, I bought my iMac in November, now as a young user, I wanted the best as possible to last for years and for my video work. I only settled the worry about a new iMac coming out 1 1/2 ago. Though I would really like a 512MB option for the vram, that would be nice, I doubt apple will include the 8800 as a BTO until the update after this coming penryn one.
  8. Ryanb1281 macrumors member

    Jan 18, 2008
    I agree. Most likely they will just drop in the Penryn chips in place of the Merom chips.

    At most, they might increase the smallest available hdd size, or they might bump up the gfx card from 256mb to 512mb. And those possibilities aren't really all that likely, since we haven't heard anything about that happening (although lots of people complain about the gfx card in the current imacs, so maybe that will prompt a change).
  9. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

    Jan 26, 2008
    I think you should accept delivery, open the box, setup your iMac and just enjoy it. It will work as advertised. There will always be something new around the corner. Besides, if you do wait and they upgrade the iMac again next year, what will you do? Upgrade again?

    Make it like Christmas in April and enjoy!
  10. crontab macrumors member

    Mar 25, 2008
    What about that warm feeling down in the cockles of your heart, just from knowing that inside your Mini, is a nice brand new penryn? Ahhhh......
  11. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

    May 14, 2003
    If I were in the OPs shoes, Im probably wait til tuesday to see what if anything happens. If nothing does, open immediately. If something big, return for the newest unit, which likely will be the same price.
  12. Le Big Mac macrumors 68030

    Le Big Mac

    Jan 7, 2003
    Washington, DC
    I would do the same. I'm not sure what Amazon's policy is, but typically Apple would credit you the difference in price between the version you bought and the refurb price if they introduce a new machine within 10 days of purchase (i.e., if the refurb price of the now-"outdated" model is $200 less, you'd get that as a credit).
  13. Echinda macrumors regular

    Apr 24, 2003
    Don't worry about it. I bought a MBP the week before the last upgrade and was stressed a bit about it at first. But then it hit me that the computer I bought does exactly what I want it to do in the way I expected. Which is all you can ask for, really.

    Also, the new MBPs, while better, aren't so much better that it is even really noticeable in day to day use. The key speed limiting feature in word processing is my crappy typing, not the processor.
  14. za9ra22 macrumors 6502a

    Sep 25, 2003
    I wonder how many people there are, waiting until Tuesday to see if the system they want to buy is going to be updated then.... then waiting until the following Tuesday when it isn't. Then the next, then the next....... And of course when it is updated, then hesitating over the choice because, well, who wants to be the first to buy a new model, just in case. And then, after all, the new one will get updated in a few months anyway, rendering it obsolete and worthless.

    We all surely understand the idiocy of buying computers this way. Whatever we buy and whenever we buy it, it's going to be replaced in the product line sooner or later. At best you get maybe 6 months of having the 'latest and greatest'. What on earth is the point in buying on that basis?

    The other way is to think about what you need the system for, then look at the alternatives and buy what meets those needs, with a bit of extra power and capacity to spare to allow for the future, and buy what does the trick. That way, in a few days, weeks or months when it is still doing what you need and therefore proving productive, it matters not one bit whether it remains a current model or has been replaced.

    As to 'lower value', at the rate Apple systems keep their value, the introduction of a new model doesn't have much of an impact. Nor should it on anyone except someone else who can only abide the thought of owning the very latest thing.
  15. PcBgone macrumors 6502


    Feb 3, 2008
    I would just open that new shiny Imac up and go to town! Watch though for the next 30 days on Amazon. If they drop the price on your model, due to a new model or what have you, they will refund the price difference within 30 days.

    I bought my wifes macbook through Amazon and got in Feb 9th. A couple of weeks later they upgraded the macbook. Amazon dropped their price on the old models, and I paid 920 with rebate on the OLD Macbook...and we are happy as a clam!

    The new imac if it is upgraded, isnt enough to worry about...enjoy your new mac.
  16. MarkF786 thread starter macrumors member

    Sep 21, 2006
    Ah, I decided I'll refuse the shipment and wait it out :) What's another few weeks or so? I still have my MBP to hold me over for a while.

    My desktop PC is on death's doorstep - and I've been looking forward to this day because it gives me the excuse to buy an iMac. I've made a VMWare image of it, which I can run on my MBP while I wait to buy the iMac.

    Yeah, I realize that there will always be something newer and better released; it doesn't bother me if it's a six months or more away, but when it's possibly closer I think it's worth the wait.

  17. G4R2 macrumors 6502a

    Nov 29, 2006
    I completely sympathize with the OP. I'm kind of on the market for a new iMac and while I don't feel that the presumed Penryn update will be something significant or worth waiting for I would like to see a Bluray burner option and/or brighter displays.
  18. trip1ex macrumors 68000

    Jan 10, 2008
    My refurb iMac will be here tomorrow. I couldn't wait any longer. I ended up selling my old intel iMac for a good price sooner than I expected and I needed a new machine.
  19. yotoad macrumors member

    Feb 11, 2008
    debating the same thing

    i just ordered an HD camcorder and my pc, although running just fine, doesn't have the processing power to handle what i'm about to throw at it. i'm thinking about the 24" 2.8ghz iMac and maxing out the RAM and throwing in a 750 or 1tb HD -- i want this to last me a long time!

    just wondering if i should wait -- i could wait another month or two, but honestly, i'm just excited about making the switch!!

    my goal is have a user-friendly video-editing (exporting home movies to iTunes->:apple:TV is awesome for my children!), music, pictures, and basic web/computer stuff.

    i also like to home record, so this machine might be a great pro tools LE solution down the road for me (although i might spring for a MBP down the road)
  20. marcg007 macrumors member

    Jan 28, 2003
    Boston area
    The rumors about updated iMacs have been circulating since...

    November, just 3 months after the previous models were released. If you keep waiting until "next Tuesday", you will never get a new machine. I have been watching this stuff for a really long time. However, I can only go with my gut feeling since I don't consider myself an expert even after 15 years. My gut says that the likelihood of anything more than a processor swap and slight speed bump is quite low. As to this nonsense about "my 3 week old computer will be obsolete", all I can say is have you seen what used Macs are selling for through ebay and through dealers? Macs hold their value better than any other computer out there. Even if they don't hold the latest and greatest tech, have you ever tried to install Windows XP Pro or (God help us) Vista on a PC that is the same age as a G3 Macintosh running 10.4.11. I waited almost the entire length of last Summer because I was sure a new iMac would be released in that time frame. I week after they came out, I ordered the top line model which I know will be fine for my music production, bit of video, and bit of photo work for the next 5 years at least just as the G4 it replaced was fine since 2002. If what you have serves the purpose you need it for, open it up and use it.
  21. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601


    Nov 19, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    Refusing the shipment is not going to help you get your money back.. I'm sure there's a return policy on it if the box is not open. Just give them a call.
  22. cerce macrumors newbie

    Mar 28, 2008
    - i don't understand... apple.com doesn't list any new specs on the iMac?

    - am i missing something?
  23. alphaod macrumors Core


    Feb 9, 2008
    They will only release the new specs the day they announce the new product. That's the way they do business. Keep everyone on their toes.

    As with the OP, you can do an upgrade exchange within 14-days from the day it ships for free. You can use the computer and everything. Of course if they release it in a month, then you will be screwed. The best thing to do is call and cancel it now and if it's already shipped, then call Apple to tell them you are refusing the shipment and see what they tell you what to do.
  24. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

    Mar 24, 2008
    meh i just toughed it out wen they came with the 2nd gen macbooks and decided to upgrade the hdd and possibly the ram and get 10.5 but the processer speed does not bother me and i could upgrade if i could find one to buy
  25. iPhil macrumors 68040


    With the new upgrades to the Mac line.. It doesn't make the current line dead in the water... :rolleyes:

    If you wanna go into debt really quickly then keep buying the late n greatest... :p

Share This Page