Just ordered an iPad (iOS noob)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Nyaruko, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Nyaruko macrumors newbie

TL;DR Background: Google screwed my on the Nexus 7 so I ordered an iPad 3rd gen.

So having never owned or used an iOS device, I have no clue what apps/games to get or how to do the many things I need it to.

Apps I'm looking for (prefer free but will pay for good ones): Twitter client, Manga Reader (for both online scans and offline downloaded ones), Video player that can do 8/10bit mkv, Free Music Streamer (something like Rock Radio which I use on my GS2), app that can open .odt files, and anything that is really unique to the iPad (I'm thinking something like iPhoto).

I'm also need to know how to wireless sync my Pictures folder and my documents (which are in .odt format). I also need to wirelessly (but will do wired if have to) .mkv videos and pdfs.

Thanks in advance.

2. BluePhoenixRa macrumors regular

I can't help you with all of them, but I'll do my best to help at some parts. :)

The main Twitter app on the iPad is pretty awesome. It's free.

iBooks and Adobe Reader are great PDF readers IMO. You can vie PDFs via Safari (online) or hit "Open in iBooks" or "Open in.." --> "Adobe Reader". And they'll download it on to the app for later.
    You can also use Dropbox to view PDFs and transfer to your iPad.
    There are other PDF readers too!

Pandora is a free music streamer. Spotify too.
    There might be others, I haven't tried.

Transfering photos without connecting, you can just drop 'em in Dropbox and then open 'em in iPad. That's how I transfers a lot of my photos. Much easier than connecting.
    You can also try Google Drive. Not sure how that works, didn't try it yet.

I don't know about .odt files, and as for .mkv, I don't think you can do that on the iPad. But, again, I don't know about them.

Enjoy~

3. -TYLER macrumors regular

Manga reader.... Sounds like a good way to keep your virginity safe.

4. Eddie Bombay macrumors 6502

.odt file reader = ooreader

.mkv player = ProPlayer

This made me lol hard.

5. IllmasterMath, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012

IllmasterMath macrumors regular

I looked around for a decent .mkv player for a while too until I gave up and converted my videos to .mp4. If they're h.264 encoded and all you're changing is the container file, you shouldn't see any degradation in quality. They will also play nice with iTunes for syncing convenience and the greater Apple ecosystem (Apple TV, for example. I would recommend one anyway; they're a lot of fun.)