Just ordered an Octo-Core

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by oncilla, Jun 23, 2007.

1. oncilla macrumors newbie

I've been holding off on getting a new box ever since Apple announced the switch to intel 2 years ago. Now that Maya 8.5 is universal binary and After Effects CS3 is about to come out, I can actual take advantage of the new systems. I actually was thinking about waiting till they went to an all 8 core line up, or for another round of processors. But since im getting the top of the line setup and am actually using it for work I just bit the bullet.

Been using a dual G5 2.7 to animate on at the office, but at home I have an ancient emac left over from college. Its practically useless for any applications besides safari, itunes, and appleworks. Needless to say I've been creatively starved when not at work and am excited to actually be able to make stuff at home.

Basically got the mac pro octo-core Xeon 3GHz with the standard specs except added the x1900 video card and airport. By the way, would have to recomend Expercom, they were the only online store I could find that had a discount on the 8-core mac with this video card option. Also no CA sales tax.

Will probably order some RAM this week. Whats up with crucial? Anyone know why their prices just jumped up 70 bucks?

2. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

3. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

The crucial thing has been a mystery. My guess is there have been an influx of purchases due to people buying the Mac Pro around this time.

You got an awesome system, and you were long overdue for an upgrade. If a newer version comes out, it really won't effect you as your system is top-of-the-line, as any Mac Pro is.

People have been going with OWC and I haven't heard any complaints with their RAM over there.

4. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

5. oncilla thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, maybe i should go with OWC. I think someone on here pointed out that premium priced apple RAM and crucial RAM is seemingly identical. But OWC prices are looking pretty good.

6. Og Oggilby macrumors regular

Congrats on your new system!

I was the one who posted about the Crucial ram. The ram I received from them had the same sticker on the heat sink that the Apple ram had (right down to the little logo on it). It was under a loose Crucial sticker that I removed since it looked like it would fall off anyway.

7. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

I lucked out and got 8gb or crucial right before the price went up. Got them both at $399. I would call them and haggle. Bet they give it to you at $399. :)