Just ordered an old iMac G3!!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by likemyorbs, Jul 20, 2008.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

2. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

how much did u pay? looks as its good well atleast the 500mhz is a really good +. just the ram and hd is slow but im going to assume your going to upgrade but looks as its a good dealio

Wait u bought it for $19 ?!?!? looks like a great deal

3. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

i paid 19.95 + 40 shipping. im not upgrading it because i didnt buy it to use, its just a novelty thing for me. i thought it would be cool to own an older mac with OS 9. im hoping eventually it'll be considered an antique...

4. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

I would upgrade it to like 10.4 lol and 9.2 but thats me

5. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

i would but then it would lose the historic significance, plus i've never had much chance to use os 9, i only switched to mac 3 years ago.

6. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Ah, iMac G3s are a dime a dozen these days... but that's another story. All I'm going to say here is that OS 9 is pretty much the least fun OS to use ever... good thing the later iMac G3s can be upgraded to Tiger.

7. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

pretty sure that particular one can be upgraded if i choose to...

8. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

Wow... $60 for an iMac. That's a great deal. But, if your going to use it at all, even with OS 9, you should at least double the RAM. And, that 20GB HDD is going to go REALLY fast. Think about a firewire external.

9. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

Yea i dual booted 9.2 and panther myself because when i upgraded i felt like using 9.2 after a while so i did so

10. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

it's not for every day use, just a novelty.

11. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

wait you can put both os's into the computer?

12. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

yep dual boot them or i saw my brother using it like a virtual machine or somthing like that

13. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

hmm im gonna have to try that.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I might get one myself of course I'll bid on hopefully get it for even less ;)

15. onegirlcreative macrumors member

onegirlcreative

I think that's an excellent deal. My criteria whenever I purchase an older Apple is as long as the cosmetic condition is near perfect, I don't care about the specs. I always do the upgrades myself (i.e. OS, RAM, Airport, etc.), so as long as cosmetically it's good, I'll go for it.

I just purchased an older Lime Green iBook Clamshell on eBay last week. I can't wait to get it!!!! :p

16. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

thats awesome! do you have a link?? i wanna seeeee

17. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

do the lime greens have firewire cause i know its a newer one

18. onegirlcreative macrumors member

onegirlcreative

Yes, they do. It was that generation of the Lime Green, Indigo and Graphite at 366/466 MHz that they incorporated the firewire, and this was their last generation of Clamshells.

I received it a few weeks ago and added some upgrades (i.e. Airport card, RAM, OS, etc.) and I love it. I primarily use it for internet since it really isn't fast enough for my graphic design apps or anything else, but I guess I'm nostalgic and missed it.

I purchased the Lime Green 466 MHz, DVD/CD back in 2001 when they were brand new, and I think I spent $1,500 on it—no extras on upgraded RAM or anything. Ouch!

This one that I just got on eBay is only 366 MHz and only CD, not DVD, but it's more for the design and nostalgia is why I purchased it.

19. onegirlcreative macrumors member

onegirlcreative

20. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

About 8 months ago I got a 500MHz iMac with 640mb for $20. I can't say I'd spend more than that on a G3 unless it was 700MHz with the airport card and tons of RAM. If you're happy with it, thats all that matters though.

21. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

impressively, for how much i paid for it, it does actually have an airport card. since i posted this i've added a 40gb hd and i just ordered a 512mb ram chip for $13 with free shipping. i installed os x tiger as well. this actually turned out to be a great working, pre-popularity macintosh. i love this thing and a lot of times i use it instead of my macbook, also its definitely a great computer for anyone on a budget because a $20 windows box wouldnt even be functional, this mac works like it did on its first day of life.

22. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

23. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

it came with a built in airport card which is $50 on ebay alone, and the shipping was $40. so i still think i got a pretty good deal

24. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

That only proves there are people on ebay that are uneducated about value. Nobody should pay $50 for a 10 year old SLOW network card!!!