just ordered Apple TV .. HDMI cable included?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by ansabakhan, Apr 5, 2011.

1. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

i just ordered Apple TV online ... and was wondering it HDMI is included with it ... i am guess its not ... what cable do i need ... are there different types of HDMI .. sorry but i don't have any HDMI device ..what to make sure i get the right cable to hook it up..

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs.html
    any hdmi cord will work, the only time more expensive cables might be better is on serious long distance.

check out monoprice for a good selection of decently priced cables.

3. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

thanks ..

it doesn't say what kind of HDMI cable ..

do i need A Male to B Male HDMI cable ?

4. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Just a regular HDMI cable with regular HDMI on both ends (not the mini-HDMI, etc.)

There are different "versions" of HDMI cables (1.2, 1.3, 1.4) but I think these just indicate signal tolerance levels that the cable is spec'd for, and should have no real practical difference. Just buy a cable long enough for your needs and you should be fine.

5. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

thanks ! just one more thing .. i didnt see a Apple TV hack/JB area on the forum .... where do i find that?

6. Mr-Kerrse macrumors 6502

http://forum.firecore.com/137

7. 156457 macrumors 6502

I just ordered my first Apple TV too, not sure where to start in terms of jailbreaking etc. Would you be able to link me to a beginners guide to the options or even explain them here? I have a jailbroken iPhone 4 so I'm not new to hacking, just not sure about the options with :apple:TV.

8. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

yes i want to know this too

9. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Take a look HERE. The only trick involved with this is that it requires a micro USB cable that isn't included with the ATV2. HERE is one from Amazon for cheap.

10. Kalison macrumors member

Yeah and even then you want to make sure you have the right hdmi spec 1.3a? Most of the time if you're under 10 meters you don't need to spend much on your hdmi cables since they are all digital signals.

Making sure your cable is of the current spec is usually more important than how much you spend on it.

I know many people have different opinions on this but I think if you aren't going beyond 10 meters any lower cost hdmi cable will do just fine. Keep in mind I am talking about installations that don't require heavy durability standards ie. Me Joe blow who only needs 4 feet and I'll never touch the thing for a year or more.

11. Mr-Kerrse macrumors 6502

There's loads of information available just google search, i had never jailbroken anything before. First jailbreak was greenpoison went through first time no issues, Updated to IOS3 so then used Seasonpass to jailbreak but couldn't get it to work although many people have. I used Pwnage jailbreak in the end but may still add seasonpass if i can get it to work.