Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matt-Man-Plus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_7 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E303 Safari/6533.18.5)

I just ordered an Apple TV. I plan on streaming stuff from my iTunes library on my MacBook to my TV via the ATV. Will the ATV wake up the MacBook from sleep or do I have to wake it up myself before streaming my media? If it will wake up the MacBook, does the lid have to open?

Penquin79

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2011
Quick question

Check in the m
MacBooks preferences where there is a check box to wake from sleep for network connections. Never had a MacBook but my suspicion is it has to be at least opened. Otherwise the wi-fi would be shut off?

P Mentior

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2008
Ohio
Yes that wake from sleep on network access will do the trick and it shouldn't need to be opened to work, but may need to be connected to external power.

I just tested it with my Macbook Air and it would wake it up only while it was connected to power and an external display. For some reason without the display connected the apple tv 2 wouldn't see it. but I remember my old Macbook Pro working with no display but I don't have it any more to test.

Matt-Man-Plus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_7 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E303 Safari/6533.18.5)

I dont have an external display to connect to it so I hope just having the lid opened and the power source connected will do it. I'll test it out with lid closed/open and Ethernet wired/wifi and check back in

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus

I dont have an external display to connect to it so I hope just having the lid opened and the power source connected will do it. I'll test it out with lid closed/open and Ethernet wired/wifi and check back in

The MacBook must be connected to an external power source and an external monitor in order for it to operate in closed lid mode. If you lose power while the MacBook is closed, the computer will go back into sleep mode and the connection to the ATV will be terminated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.