Just ordered ATV, quick question.

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Matt-Man-Plus, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Matt-Man-Plus macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_7 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E303 Safari/6533.18.5)

I just ordered an Apple TV. I plan on streaming stuff from my iTunes library on my MacBook to my TV via the ATV. Will the ATV wake up the MacBook from sleep or do I have to wake it up myself before streaming my media? If it will wake up the MacBook, does the lid have to open?

2. Blipp macrumors 6502

It doesn't wake mine up but I've heard it will if you have an Airport Extreme or Time Capsule as your wireless router. Perhaps someone else could confirm or deny this?

3. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

I have an Airport Extreme and if my MacBook is asleep, the ATV does not wake it.

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I don't know if the ATV2 itself is capable of it, but I think to have an APE wake your Mac, you have to enable a default-Off setting in your power settings. I don't know if the ATV can take advantage of it though.

5. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

The AppleTV can wake a Mac up (it works with my MacPro). However, you need to have the correct setup (select Wake on Network Access, or soemthing like that in the Power settings).

Furthermore, I think there are issues with waking up a closed MacBook or MacBookPro. I think they either need to be open, or be hooked up to an external monitor (or something like that).