Just ordered by BTO MBPR-What next?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ryanchan, Sep 21, 2012.

1. ryanchan, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012

ryanchan macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,
    I've just ordered my BTO mbpr with 2.6ghz cpu and 16gb ram, all other specs as standard model. This will be my first macbook and mac computer so I'm just wondering what I should buy/do once the laptop arrives. Here's my to-do list and some questions for now:
    1. Pouch/case -recommendations? I prefer a thin sleeve/pouch, preferably high quality material such as a snug fit leather/any other synthetic materials that feels nice to touch. I'm not gonna carry anything else aside from a few pieces of paper at times.
    2. Update to 10.8.2? How is the bootcamp compatibility on this? I plan to run windows 8 on the laptop for gaming. Is the whole bootcamp process, including partitions reversible? Can I change the disk space allocated to the windows drive after the windows partition has been set up?
    3. Anyone using gfxCardStatus? Does in really help in terms of battery life and does it conflict with bootcamp and/or the 10.8.2 update?
    4. Anything else I should buy or do?

Cheers and thanks in advance!

2. afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

get a usb 3.0 external drive for time machine. better safe than sorry

3. sydenham macrumors regular

First of all celebrate. You are going to love the machine. You should definitely get an incase or speck hard cover for the laptop asap to keep it in new condition. Gfx is a great program and it comes in handy for battery life. Bootcamp works great, you may want to use the Nvidia updated graphic drivers. Have fun.

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Pay the credit card off or reestablish your net savings account.

5. ryanchan thread starter macrumors newbie

why? does osx crash and lose data easily?

6. elpek macrumors newbie

No it doesn't crash too often and it's rather stable. Time Machine is just a very good backup solution. People can be divided into two groups - ones that do backups and ones that will start in the future :)

7. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

4: Don't pour water on it. Particularly post-midnight.

8. JGO macrumors member

No, OS X does not crash easily and lose data. However, any hard drive (mechanical or ssd) can fail, and it is prudent regularly use either the built in backup software (Time Machine) or an app like SuperDuper! to maintain a backup of your hard drive.

9. ryanchan thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm looking into the Terra sleeve by Incase now. Looks good but I'll probably go to the local laptop store to look at alternatives and compare. Hard cover is a no go for me, destroys the aesthetics in my opinion.
    Does gfx cause any bugs or glitches?
    Where do I get the updated graphics driver from? Does the nvidia site provide it?
    Thanks

----------

I am not worried about this because I have my important work files synced to both Google Drive and Box.net
    I don't actually store any substantial data on the system disk. Mostly game and program files.
    Thanks for the tip though, I understand where you're coming from I've been there myself before

10. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Wait for it to arrive. :D

Highly subjective matter. You need to give people your preferences if you want recommendations as there are countless options out there. What style do you prefer? Aesthetic preferences? How much other stuff are you going to carry along with it? The more info you provide when asking for recommendations on any subjective matter the better the feedback you'll get.

Integrated typically consumes less power than discrete but at the cost of performance. It's irrelevant for Bootcamp as you won't be running it under Bootcamp. It's not a Windows utility.

Again, subjective. MBP owners aren't all identical. Even rMBP owners aren't all identical. Again, provide more details on yourself and what you're looking to do, etc.

No, it's standard practice for backups in general to not put all your eggs in one basket.

11. ryanchan thread starter macrumors newbie

I will now edit my first post to state my preferences for cases. Thanks

12. switon, Sep 22, 2012

switon macrumors 6502a

13. ryanchan thread starter macrumors newbie

I also routinely copy my files to an external drive.
    Thanks for that input, now I'll surely use gfx when I get my rmbp. Will probably run integrated 24/7 on mac as long as it doesn't lag when video playing or under normal usage. I assume windows 8 under bootcamp will only use discrete graphics, in which case it's all good because I only game under windows.

14. switon, Sep 22, 2012

switon macrumors 6502a

15. stevelam macrumors 65816

if you keep the hd4000 running constantly, you will definitely see UI lag. if its your first mac you might not notice. the rmbp is my 3rd mac and i can definitely tell the UI is smoother even on my 2008 macbook.

16. ryanchan thread starter macrumors newbie

is the lag so bad that it's a turn off or is it barely noticeable or only occurs when running intensive apps?

17. switon, Sep 22, 2012

switon macrumors 6502a

18. wiznet macrumors regular

Barely noticeable in 10.8.1, but I could find it if I looked for it. However, after updating to 10.8.2 most of it is gone completely. The one spot I could really notice it before was when I would swipe with four fingers to go to the dashboard, and back again to the desktop. It would lag a little bit, but not anymore. This is on HD4000.

Can somebody please clarify why gfxCardStatus is so important? Can't you just turn graphics switching off?

19. ryanchan thread starter macrumors newbie

in the 10.8.2 thread there seems to be quite a number of users experiencing a throttle limit at 1.1ghz due to emi(?) or something. Should the first thing I do after getting the laptop be updating to 10.8.2? There's a fix somewhere in the thread I think but it didn't appear to be that reliable for me.

20. switon, Sep 22, 2012

switon macrumors 6502a

21. ryanchan thread starter macrumors newbie

got that, is it done directly under itunes or the 'system tab' check for updates thing?

22. ryanchan thread starter macrumors newbie

one more question- under windows I often use standby whtout actually powering down down the laptop itself. Is it advisable/possible to do the same on a mac without any side effects that could be potentially detrimental to the rmbp?
    Cheers

23. Sammio2 macrumors regular

Sammio2

It's absolutely fine to keep your Mac in sleep mode, in fact, you'll find a lot of Mac users who recommend it... Especially with the new retina MBP with the introduction of 'Power Nap' on OS X 10.8 your mac will update mail, calendar, contacts, photo stream, etc while it sleeps. It also backs up to time machine while it's sleeping! Cool huh?

BTW... I've just ordered a rMBP with the exact same spec's as yours. I am very excite! :D