Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kalebnate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
The phone will be shipped and used overseas, so I hope it really is unlocked as you guys say !!

G-Ziss

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
I read that the T-Mobile version only works on T-Mobile, but the Verizon version is unlocked and will work with other carriers including T-Mobile.

kalebnate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
I read that the T-Mobile version only works on T-Mobile, but the Verizon version is unlocked and will work with other carriers including T-Mobile.

Apparently they say if you buy it directly from the apple site then it is unlocked. I don't know why they aren't backing me up here but used to bombard me thread with proof that it's unlocked yesterday !

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apparently they say if you buy it directly from the apple site then it is unlocked. I don't know why they aren't backing me up here but used to bombard me thread with proof that it's unlocked yesterday !

I guess no matter what anyone says, the proof will be in the pudding - just wait until you receive it. You'll find out then.

I also heard that it's locked if you buy it on the t-mo site and unlocked at apple, yet I've read some reports that its locked even on the apple site.

I think regardless of history, the only way you're going to know for sure is to see yourself.

G-Ziss

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
That's true. Even if it was unlocked last year, there are no guarantees it will be the same case this year.

kalebnate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
That's true. Even if it was unlocked last year, there are no guarantees it will be the same case this year.

Well it's a risky purchase. I guess I'll have to purchase an unlock if it all went to ****.

Gaura Mohana

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
Gainesville, FL
I just bought a 6 Contract free T-mobile from Apple.com - Really hope it's unlocked ;)

I'm planning on popping my straight talk At&t sim in there the moment I get it :)

BlockEight88

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
They can't charge full price and have it locked to a carrier. T-Mobile ONLY locks its iPhones if you get one on an EIP plan.

yubakram

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014
Phoenix
I too am hoping for the capability to use on the Verizon network... I have seen many different answers on this forum and even websites..

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...h-best-in-class-lte-and-wireless-connectivity

"This also means that iPhones sold by AT&T and T-Mobile can also be unlocked and brought over to Verizon and get the full range of service now."

Verizon tech support states that they can give no guarantees but gave the impression that it would work.

Time will tell.

MatiasAR

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2014
Everyone who bought the 5S this way last year says so ... I will post back here to confirm the result in a few weeks (I hope it is unlocked really).

Please do keep us posted. I too bought the tmobile contract free version to use it in Argentina and I won't be able to test it until October 19th when I get back from my trip - yeah, one month after...I will probably die meanwhile.

----------

Please do keep us posted. I too bought the tmobile contract free version to use it in Argentina and I won't be able to test it until October 19th when I get back from my trip - yeah, one month after...I will probably die meanwhile.

wait, if I pop in my argentinian sim card while in the US, will that tell me anything whether it is unlocked or not?

kalebnate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
Please do keep us posted. I too bought the tmobile contract free version to use it in Argentina and I won't be able to test it until October 19th when I get back from my trip - yeah, one month after...I will probably die meanwhile

Hahahaha hang on there !! Lots of peeps say that they got the 5S unlocked last year, hopefully it's the same this year.

H2K03

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2009
They can't charge full price and have it locked to a carrier. T-Mobile ONLY locks its iPhones if you get one on an EIP plan.

Not true based on history unless there's been a recent change. I bought a full-price iPhone 5S last year from the T-Mobile store and it was locked to T-Mobile. They will unlock it for you but you have to have service with them for at least 45 days before they'll unlock it.

My suggestion is to avoid the T-Mobile store if you're hoping for an unlocked iPhone you can use on AT&T or overseas. The contract free ones from Apple direct will be unlocked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.