Just ordered i7 iMac, Ram upgrade and ??? needed?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by loves2travel, May 6, 2011.

1. loves2travel macrumors member

May 19, 2010
    We just purchased our i7 lastnight (first iMac) and was would like to know what brand of Ram would be best suited for our system? Been reading here that people recommend OWC,Crucial and G.Skill. Does any of them have a certain advantage over the other? We are looking at getting a total of either 12GB or 16GB. Here is the specs. to the system we ordered:

3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
    4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    2TB Serial ATA Drive
    AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5
    Apple WL Kybd (English)+User's

We are going to use the computer for mostly pictures as well as video editing with, more than likely, gaming in the future. Also, we are getting an external hard drive as back up and would like recommendations on a good 2TB one. Any good software should we consider?

Hopefully this purchase is going to be our last desktop computer for a while so we configured it more than we needed. Any help would be more than greatly appreciated!

P.S. We are making the transition from PC to Apple so be nice. :)
  2. archer75 macrumors 65816

Jan 26, 2005
    Brand doesn't matter.

And you may not need more than the 4gb it comes with. Run it for awhile doing your day to day activities with activity monitor open so you can watch the ram usage. If you it shows you running out of ram, buy some more.
  3. Zen0Jin macrumors member

Feb 1, 2011
    You should wait until some confirms whether 1600 RAM will work. It should be pretty good boost in memory bandwidth, maybe a 5- 10% increase in performance.
  4. alust2013 macrumors 601

Feb 6, 2010
    On the fence
    For very memory intensive applications, yes. For most use, no difference at all.
  5. loves2travel thread starter macrumors member

May 19, 2010

So 4gb should be fine running Final Cut video editing software?