Just ordered iMac 27"

Discussion in 'iMac' started by thegoat, Aug 6, 2011.

1. thegoat macrumors newbie

I just ordered an iMac 27" for about 3k including taxes with pretty much every upgrade (3.4 ghz i7, 256 SSD, Radeon 6970M 2GB, Apple Care) besides ram since I'm going to add 8-16gb myself. Has anyone else went all out and been happy with there purchase so I don't feel bad about myself right now?

2. AbeFroman77 macrumors 6502

Hope Lion doesn't give you any problems. I just returned mine. Same specs but with an added 1TB HDD. I'll be waiting on a Lion update before I buy it again.

3. Lankyman macrumors 68000

I have settled for the bog standard 21.5" model, I can neither justify the expense of the 27" nor do I need that sort of spec. I think you have to be a serious power user to need those specs and I'm just an average user.

I did try a 27" but returned as I found it too large for its situation plus the text was very small, a waste of real estate as far as I was concerned. I'm much happier now we have the 21.5" iMac and a Mac Mini. Sorry my post wasn't more positive for you but simply being honest.

4. thegoat thread starter macrumors newbie

What kind of problems were you running into with Lion? Good thing I have 14 days to try before returning it.

5. kgapp macrumors member

I have the same maxxed out iMac 27 as you describe and I am very happy with it. It replaced a 2006 MacPro which was no slouch. The new machine flies.

I don't seem to have any specific lion issues other than some of the documented bugs but none seem to effect my system os x stability.

Not sure how you pulled it off for 3k though. Mine ran $3700 with AppleCare and taxes. I did however get the trackpad and mouse so that was an extra $69. I also got the 8gb straight from apple and upgraded to 16gb aftermarket.

I am sure you will be happy with your purchase!

6. superpalmtree macrumors regular

I have the exact same system and did the 16GB ram upgrade myself. I have 2 27" imac 2011 models, one with factory 250gb ssd and one I added my own vertex 3 240gb. The custom vertex is faster but both machines are pretty snappy. Lion IMO could use some updates to improve overall system performance but I'm running a ton of apps at once and am overall happy. Windows 7 on a custom pc with a 2600k and 16gb ram, ssd, seem to be a much snappier interface than lion to me.

7. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

I have the same BTO configuration as you do with the exception of the 2GB GPU. Received it on 7/25. I installed 16GB OWC RAM in mime. Mine came pre-imstalled with 10.6.7 which allowed me to get Lion for free. I have since imstalled Lion. I have no complaints so far.

8. feeth macrumors 6502

Just got the same w 1gb video and no ac for $2450 with tax as a refurb.

installed 8gb of gskill for $40, total of 12gb.

9. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Your choice is good. Lion has a learning curve as with anything that has advantages and benefits.
    Keep in mind Lion is a new OS and with any new OS be it Apple or Windows there are always updates. However be assured that Apple will resolve their problems quicker than anyone else.

10. AbeFroman77 macrumors 6502

LOL, HP put out an update already for Lion. Lion's graphics issues have been known before release.