Just ordered iphone 4. Bumper yes or no?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by davemartin01, Oct 8, 2010.

1. davemartin01 macrumors newbie

Hi just ordered my iphone 4 as been waiting for my current phone contract to expire. So, question is, has the so called aerial problem been sorted with new batches or do i still need to buy a bumper ready for when it gets delivered shortly? I am in the UK btw if that makes any difference and using the 3 network.
    I just wanted to know whether to order one or not or if it is not necessary now. Many thanks in advance.

2. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Although the complaints were more widespread than we all would have liked, it was not 100% across the board. Ergo, nobody can tell you whether you will need one or not. It depends on how you hold your individual phone and if you experience "the issue." Use the phone. If you need a bumper, order one.

3. mrathee macrumors 6502

its all about preference - I got a bumper, loved the look, but hated the feeling. I love the aesthetics of apple products so i prefer mine without cases.

instead, I bought an invisishield from zagg - the max protection has covers for the antenna, which stops the antenna issue, and keeps the aesthetic of the phone.

really though, its about preference again - i would go to an apple store and ask to try on a bumper to see if you like the feel in your hand, in your pocket, etc etc

4. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Get the phone, then ring up Apple and say you have the signal attenuation issue. They'll ship you a bumper free of charge.

http://www.apple.com/uk/iphone/case-program/

Not sure whether you can choose colors, but I'm guessing they only have black for free and the other colors you'll have to buy.

But tbh there are much better cases out there for the same or less money by other companies such as Griffin, Speck etc.

5. Bendy Walker macrumors regular

Bendy Walker

Hey there OP.

I also have an iPhone 4 on Three, and can safely say that the bumper is necessary in areas with three bars of signal strength or less. If you're in an area with a constant four to five bars, you should be okay without the bumper.

I live on the outskirts of a large town. When I'm in the center of town I get five bars, but in my house I can only manage two. If I take the bumper off and hold the phone comfortably, I get no signal :/ So the bumper is a necessity for me, which is a shame, because I'd like it better without.

Hope this helps.

6. citizenal macrumors regular

At my work I get one bar at best, without the bumper I wouldn't be able to make calls at all. So really depends on if it affects your signal or not I guess.

7. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Like everyone here is saying. Its up to you if you need one or not. I didn't need one at all. So I didn't get one.
    But since I like my phone to remain intact without tons of scratches, I did get a protective case. Some of my coworkers don't have anything.
    Individual performance may vary. ;)

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I have a bumper and it really helps with the antenna issue for me.

9. davemartin01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok guys. Fantastic responses, thank you all very much. I shall wait to see how it is when it gets delivered as to whether I actually need one. I like the idea of perhaps bending apples ears to try and get a free one if i do!!

Just got to sit on my hands for a while until it all arrives!
    Thanks again!

10. mallom macrumors regular

11. Zcott macrumors 68020

12. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Personally I would go ahead and get one, but there's no harm in waiting to see how you are affected.

13. firewood macrumors 604

A bumper will also keep the glass back of the iPhone 4 from getting dusty or scratched whenever you put the device down on any flat surface. It even helps protect the camera lens area a bit.

14. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

Got my free one, used it for about 3 days...never put it on again.

15. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

I've been using a bumper since launch and love it still. It keeps my iPhone from getting scratched when I place it on a table, and has a good deal of friction to keep it from sliding accidentally. Plus with the bumper you can see more of the beautiful device it's protecting.

16. innominato5090 macrumors 6502

innominato5090

take a bumper, but not to avoid reception issues: just to increase the grip. without any kind of skin/case, the phone it's just too slippery, I was always so close to drop it on the floor...

17. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Sounds like a good idea. When you get your iPhone 4, you can try it with and without the bumper, to see which way works out best for you.

18. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I think you replied to the wrong thread here. ;)

19. Mac. macrumors 6502

Got my iPh4 yesterday, but have noticed the bars dropping whenever I pick the phone up (fingers covering the antenna).

Should I bring it into my Apple Store and let them know? or phone them up to get a bumper?

20. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

Only get the bumper if you don't need to remove it to plug things in alot. all of my audio cables are to big and don't fit when bumper is on. if you plan on using the dock you will have to take off the bumper each time. i did that for about a week and noticed the bumper streching out a bit.

21. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Call AppleCare. They'll send you a bumper free of charge.

22. Mac. macrumors 6502

23. rk1991 macrumors regular

I dont mean to jack your thread. But I have a question.

I got the speck pixelskin hd with the free apple case program but I decided I did not like it once I saw it on my friends phone. I haven't opened it. Can I take it to an apple store and exchange it for a bumper?

24. kopite19 macrumors regular

Used my bumper for a week, didn't like the feel so got rid of it.

25. Insilin1i macrumors regular

I also found this to be true. I also hated how big it made the iphone feel and how annoying it was to get out of pockets. Just using the SGP Ultra Crystal full body film, covers antenna also.