Just ordered (last revision) MacBook pro- a few question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dunneh, Oct 16, 2008.

1. dunneh macrumors newbie

Made the trip to the London Regent Street Apple store today with the full intention of buying a new macbook- my first Mac computer after 5 long years of watching from the sideline waiting for the right time!

Of course they were out of stock though, much to my disappointment. But then I looked around online when I got home and found a new MacBook Pro (last revision, and the mid-range 2.5ghz, 250gb version) for the same price as the high-end brand new MacBook from a UK reseller. So I snapped it up and ordered- will be coming on saturday!

Really quite excited as it's my first Mac. Loved the brand new MacBook and MacBook pro models that I had a go on in the store, but just can't justify the price when compared to value for money I will be getting.

Sure, it won't have the 'latest and greatest' feel about it, but from what I read the last revision MacBook pro is a reliable and excellent machine, so I'm pleased! Plus i can now partake in a little gaming (if i bootcamp windows) and have the added real estate of a 15 inch screen.

Anyway! A few questions: the tech specs of my ordered MacBook Pro are no-longer on the apple website but I seem to recall that it should have the trackpad gestures in the same way as the MacBook Air has- is this correct? by that I mean the 3-fingered swipe to go forward or backwards in Safari, 2-fingered to zoom in on photos etc.

Also, is the screen the new type of LCD screen (the name escapes me!) that is energy efficient and brighter?

Your insight would be much appreciated! My Macbook Pro knowledge isn't that up to speed becasue before today I had never really considered them seriously (just the normal MacBook).

Many thanks, Dunny

2. thespyglass macrumors regular

thespyglass

Congratulations!

I'm sorry I don't have answers to your questions, I'm soon to be a switcher myself. Mind me asking which reseller you went through to get that deal, though?!

3. jag0009 macrumors newbie

I don't think so but I might be wrong...The previous gen Macbook Pro (yours and mine) does not have the trackpad gesture. Macbook Air was the first to have it on a notebook and now the new Macbook and Macbook pro have it.

4. sonia1234321 macrumors regular

Actually, the latest previous gen MBP does indeed have multitouch!

5. alanlindsay macrumors member

6. dunneh thread starter macrumors newbie

Laptopsdirect.co.uk

the deal i got is here, for 1,165 GBP (by comparison the new top-range MacBook is 1,150)

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Macbook_Pro/prod.asp

7. nep61 macrumors 6502

Don't know if this will help, but Apple still has the specs for the 17" MBP on line. http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/17-inch/specs.html

While it's not EXACTLY the specs you'll have on your new machine (Congrats, by the way) you might use this as a guide, seeing as this MBP incorporates some of those features. Hope this helps a bit.

8. dunneh thread starter macrumors newbie

super, thanks all for your help.

Can't wait to be a Mac owner finally. Roll on saturday!

Dunny

9. bushbaby macrumors 6502

bushbaby

Since this is your first Mac (and welcome - I've used them for many years) - you should be aware of this, just in case it applies to your machine. I found out by doing what you did - I purchased one of these and then found out about the known failure problem. I found out in time to return it. Many are willing to take the gamble but google Nvidia and failure or 8600 and read about it.

"Monday, 13 October 2008 Apple warns of faulty graphics processors in MacBook Pros
    Apple confirms Nvidia fault makes MacBook Pro not so pro
    Gregg Keizer, Computerworld

Apple has confirmed that MacBook Pro laptops manufactured through last month may contain faulty Nvidia Corp. graphics processors."

http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac/news/index.cfm?newsid=23121

10. thespyglass macrumors regular

thespyglass

Thank you! That's definitely an attractive deal. Has it arrived yet?!
    Weirdly the website is showing the 2.4 with the 256 GPU as more expensive than the 2.5 (512 GPU), even though everything else is the same...

11. dougnewman macrumors 6502

See here.