Just ordered Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macflurry, Aug 8, 2007.

1. macflurry macrumors member

I just ordered a Macbook (my first mac, and I'm really excited) and I was wondering about a couple things.

1. I have a lcd with a regular vga cord and no DVI, is there anywhere I can buy a cheaper DVI-VGA dongle than the apple store? Recommendations?

2. I love to eat. I eat at all times, eveb when I'm using my computer. I've seen the keyboard skins for macbooks. First, are those things good? Can I keep them on even when I have the macbook closed? Are there any exceptionally crafted covers that anyone recommends?

3. I'm also interested in getting an office suite and I want to know what people think of iWork. I plan on majoring in either economics or english in college and I'm leaning towards Office but since I work is significantly cheaper and has the 'essentials' (a word processor, presentation maker, spreadsheet) is it now a viable replacement? Looking at the conference yesterday, I remember Jobs saying numbers was a spreadsheet app for the rest of us. Is it too 'candy coated' to be useful in a college classroom, or do you think its adequate for use in school? Should I goto an Apple store and try it out before making my own decision?

Thanks for all the help in advance.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

1. its a proprietary mini plug so you'll have to get it from apple i believe.
    2. i have the Moshi palmguard and its great

3. Igantius macrumors 65816

1) Yup, as PlaceofDis says it’s a propriety one.

2) The iSkin ProTouch is excellent – other posters have expressed satisfaction about generic ones bought eBay. You can keep the iSkin one on while the laptop is closed, but you’ll need a screenguard (e.g. a piece of cloth or the ShaggyMac) to prevent dirt, oil etc transferring from the plastic to the screen and giving it the odd wash is a good idea!

The Moshi palmguard is also very good and it comes with a trackpad protector too – apply the latter on first is my tip!

3) I would certainly go to an Apple store and check out iWork – especially as it’s so new and this makes it a bit more difficult to get decent feedback.

However, I recommend NeoOffice – it’s free/open source so you’ve not much to lose by trying it out! Personally I think it’s great and many find it a good alternative to MS Office.