Just ordered my first Mac...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cni2i, Jun 15, 2009.

1. cni2i macrumors member

Hey guys. I finally took the plunge and purchased my first Mac. It purchased the MBP 17" unibody design. I read a lot about delays in shipping on various forums, so I decided to get the MBP bone stock. I was considering pre-installed iWorks and an upgrade to the 7400 rpm HD, but decided against it. I know I could've saved $30 on the iWorks, but shipping would've been delayed 2-3 days. Instead, I just went with the free shipping (saving $27).

The site says: ships w/in 24 hrs. and delivers Jun 16-19 (for the MBP and iPod touch) and delivers July 2 for the printer.

I wasn't able to get the rebate for the iPod touch or printer yet? I think the site said that ALL items have to ship first, b4 I could apply for the rebates.

I am very excited about joining the mac family. I have played with macs and really enjoyed the graphics and ease of use. They just seemed too expensive to me. But, after reading about all the benefits of a mac vs. pc (thank you), I decided to switch. :D

2. Matt Phoenix macrumors regular

Congrats on the purchase! I ordered my new MBP last Thursday and received it two days later. Helluva good turnaround time. I'm still waiting on my iPod Touch and my printer has yet to be shipped. Unfortunately, all items have to ship before I can apply for my rebate.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Congrats! That's very nice and capable computer

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

For your first Mac, you got one hella of a machine there. Hope you enjoy it ;)

5. mrj205 macrumors regular

Congrats on the purchase. Once you have all the items in your order, just go here: http://www.apple.com/promo/ You just sign in and enter your order number. That's it!

6. dylanbrown macrumors 6502

Hey there, congratulations on your first Mac... a MacBook Pro 17"! You've got a very capable and powerful machine there, so good choice - hope you enjoy using it!

Also, because you purchased your Mac after June 8th, you are eligible for the discounted upgrade pricing for Snow Leopard - 10.6. (Usually $29, just $9.95) - http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

Also, as for iWork - if you use MS Office at all, I would recommend getting Office for Mac, although it's not as good as iWork, and has some major issues with Spaces, it works wonders with Office for Windows - iWork usually looses a lot of the formatting etc. However, Pages, Numbers and Keynote are three very nice polished apps!

Well, I hope you enjoy your new Mac!

7. cni2i thread starter macrumors member

That's why I really appreciate this site. Thanks for sharing that piece of information. I haven't used Leopard much (obviously), but I hear Snow Leopard will be even better. The upgrade will be a no brainer...even at $29. But for $9.95...wow!

8. cni2i thread starter macrumors member

I did that...but I got a message that said that I have to wait until all the items have been shipped (not necessarily delivered) before I could apply for the rebate. I think I read somewhere that you have to wait at least 24 hours before applying for the rebate?! Not sure. I will check again later.

9. cni2i thread starter macrumors member

:rolleyes::D:D

Rebate information submitted and is being processed. I guest I just had to wait a couple of hours.