Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

linuxidiot

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2009
Before OS X came out I abhorred macs for the most part.

When OS X rolled out I found the interface nifty, but just didnt have the means or want to drop that much cash on a computer when I could always build one.

Recently the old iMac G4 at work that I use to troubleshoot problems with my company's website (I think, still had a PPC processor) logic board crapped out and was too expensive (for the price could have bought two Minis!) to replace so our Systems dept. dropped off a Mac Mini to use in its place since some of our Execs like to use them in their office and they had some extras.

I got to play around in it some more, always thinking the Mac Minis were kind of like the red-headed step-child that never got the cool features. After playing with it and getting some general first impressions, I picked up and played with Front Row, the "Shared Movies" sold me on thinking about picking one of these little bad boys up for a bedroom HTPC. The living room already has a Media Center (Shuttle computer) and since my room-mate uses the living room to watch alot of her shows, meant I was kind of stuck not being able to access alot of my media when I wanted to.

Researching further I really liked the look of Plex and at this point, I started browsing this site and others looking for any rumors about any new revisions to the Mini, finally after watching for around 2 weeks they finally announced the revisions and as of yesterday I ordered one (2.53GHz model). It is supposed to be arriving between October 30th and November 4th, already ordered a mini-display to HDMI adapter and itching on pulling the trigger on the Magic Mouse (I will buy!) after playing with it at the Apple Store at the Northpark Mall and the wireless keyboard.

So excited, felt I had to make a post finally in this forum :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.