Just ordered my first MBP and have a question about memory upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by killerbe20, Nov 27, 2012.

1. killerbe20 macrumors newbie

I FINALLY just bought my first MBP, hopefully be in my hands by the end of the week! I also bought 16gb of matching RAM to upgrade from the stock 4gb - based mostly off reading posts here.

here are my questions....

Apple states that the 13'' MBP is only upgradable to 8mb but it is pretty apparent that many users upgrade to 16mb anyways. Am I going to be causing any harm to my Mac by exceeding Apple's recommendation?

I have seen screen shots of MBPs obviously recognizing 16gb of RAM but will I actually be utilizing all 16mb or does the Mac automatically only utilize 8mb?

And lastly, am I negatively affecting or voiding may warranty by exceeding the recommended maximum amount of RAM?

Thanks in advance for responding to my first of probably many posts!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

None, whatsoever.
    It will use all 16GB.
    Not at all.

3. killerbe20 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Just to add to what the GGJstudios said, I'd suggest keeping your original RAM for troubleshooting and also the off chance that you need to send your computer in for service. Some Apple techs will fault your RAM just because it isn't the original Apple stuff. Again, they're not "voiding the warranty," they're just making excuses.

5. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

Keep the original RAM and try not to damage anything else or leave fingerprints on the battery when you go get your laptop serviced by Apple. They'll find every little thing to make it seem like your fault

6. killerbe20 thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome, thanks guys

One more question. I spent the extra and bought "Mac" RAM, not because it was for Mac, because the timing on the other RAMs did not match to the MBP specs. For future knowledge, is the timing really an important factor? I notice a lot of people taking advantage of the 1600 RAM I passed up on.

7. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

The "official" speed spec for 2012 MBPs is 1600Mhz, 1333 is the spec for 2011 MBPs. Don't think the latency specs matter.