Just ordered my iPad 3... need help deciding on a case :)

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by gab2012, Apr 28, 2012.

1. gab2012 macrumors member

Hey guys, I ordered an iPad 3 as a graduation gift for my son and I'm wondering whats a good folding case for it?

I saw one of my co-workers with the targus versavu case and I really like it, he told me that he hated it because it would keep the screen on all of the time when the lid was closed.

I'm looking for a case similar to this one but one that just works, any suggestions?

2. SYale macrumors member

I don't have this case, STM Grip, but from what I've read from the thread below, it seems to be a hit. Psychonaut also gives a written impression and video review! Good luck finding a case for your sons gift.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1349900

3. gab2012 thread starter macrumors member

I'll check it out, had to get him something special, its not every day that your son is the valedictorian of the entire class :)

I saw the video review and it looks great, I'll keep searching and decide by Wednesday when the iPad arrives :)

4. TexasChemE macrumors 6502a

TexasChemE

Congratulations to him, what an accomplishment. :)

As fas as cases go, I would suggest either getting a smart cover + back shield for the iPad or a folio style case such as the Switcheasy Canvas. I would recommend looking at some of Metagamers videos for good case reviews.

5. SYale macrumors member

If you want to preserve the thinness form factor, I do second the smart cover and back cover option. I have this combo myself and love it a lot. I can say that the Incipio smart feather (Incipio.com) is great; it comes in lots of colors, and I believe coupons can be found online. My friend also has the Zum SC from Amazon, and he likes it a lot. Remember though, you have to use these two with Apple smart covers.

6. gab2012, Apr 28, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012

gab2012 thread starter macrumors member

That combo does sound nice, I'm willing to spend up to $70 on a case, I wanted to get hi the otterbox since I have one for my 4s but I read some bad reviews about it.

I saw the targus vuscape and it felt nice at bestbuy http://www.amazon.com/Targus-Vuscap...1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1335629396&sr=1-1-catcorr

the other which is the versavu but It had bad reviews on amazon about the magnet not turning the display off

http://www.amazon.com/Targus-Versav...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1335648945&sr=1-1

The guy at the store said they had a couple of more folding cases and the apple smart cover but they were out of stock.

7. Smithwicks macrumors 6502

I'm liking my red smart cover and red incipio feather combo. Thin and comfortable to hold.

8. gab2012 thread starter macrumors member

9. ninaco macrumors 6502

ninaco

I've got the Targus Slim Case & like it a lot. I keep my iPad in a case all the time and appreciate the case because it adds little bulk or weight.

10. DaQuickPG macrumors member

11. gab2012 thread starter macrumors member

My friend's targus is a 360 cover, the only difference is that the one I got is $10-13 compared to $50-$60 for the branded one.

both the ipad and the cases I got should arrive on wednesday so i'll post a few pictures once my son opens them up :)