Just ordered my Mac Pro - Need post order advice?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by graln1k, May 12, 2008.

1. graln1k macrumors member

I bought my system for use with Final Cut Pro and Avid Xpress (going to start learning it). I opted for the 8800gt option despite some of what I read about it's core animation problems. Is Apple working on improving core image performance, or should I switch the card to the weaker ATI card? I will be doing light gaming on the system, but the main focus is Final Cut.

Furthermore, are there any users on these boards who have the 8800 and can attest to the poor performance in Final Cut? Any positive experiences? Because even the Quadro Nvidia card was outperformed by the $2500 cheaper ATI 2600, I'm leaning towards just letting the order go through in hopes that Apple and Nvidia are working on the issue.

While I'm taking up the valuable time of these boards with this question, these are the parts that I'm going to order tomorrow to accompany the system. Should I reconsider the harddrive? Would it be worth the extra money to order a second perpendicular recording drive to use as the main system drive?

Ram: 4gb kit from OWC
    Harddrive: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 SATA II 7200RPM

Thanks!

2. doastler macrumors newbie

Hi

I have the 8800 on my ACD 30 inch and it works fine with final cut pro.
    I also have the 2600 to run my other 2 monitors
    If you dont play many games i would just get the 2600 and put the money saved to buy another 4gig of RAM

Have fun with your new machine i love mine

3. treehorn macrumors 6502

treehorn

I've been using the 8800, also running a 30" screen (HP 3065) with Final Cut Studio. Have no complaints on that regard in the slightest. Rendering flies. Compared to the Pre-Intel Powermac I have at work...things take a fraction of the time (compressing a 2:20 project using 150 Best Quality setting took 2 hours, for instance). I've had no problems with Motion either - (not sure what the 'real world' difference is between the two cards...if there's a lag compared to the ATI card who's going to notice unless you have two computers back to back :).

I'd at least double your RAM (I'm assuming you're having one drive strictly running your applications/system and have another drive for your video projects - scratch drive/rendering etc). I have a third drive for ITunes, photo storage, etc and a 1TB external drive for Time Machine back ups.

You're going to be very happy when you start editing. Congrats!

4. graln1k thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the responses! I will definitely consider a 3rd harddrive, but do you guys really think that 6gb of ram isn't enough? I was going to keep the 2gb stock kit in and add another 4 (4x1) gb kit from owc. I figured that'd be enough. Was I incorrect?

5. treehorn macrumors 6502

treehorn

I ordered 8GB from OWC and have 10GB running. May be slight overkill but I can run FCP, Motion and Compressor with no speed lags (and at the price that memory was when I bought it...)

I would say get it up to 8GB to be on the safe side, but don't regret having 10GB.

6. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

I got the 8800gt and to tell you the truth it is actually quieter than the 2600. Also go for 16gb like I did. The ram will only increase in price as time goes on. Look at how much the older mac pro ram costs now.