Just ordered my Mac Pro!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by omegalbagel, Oct 18, 2009.

1. omegalbagel macrumors newbie

omegalbagel

I'm new to the mac rumor forums, so first I'd like to say hello everybody!

I just ordered a Mac Pro Quad Core today, and was wondering if there were any tips I could get to make the most of my purchase when it gets here?( on average, how long is the wait? I'm so anxious!)

Are there any programs I should have in order to keep my Pro running like new?

I essentially ordered it bare-bones, 3 gigs of Ram and a 640 gig hd, is there any place I could look into getting more RAM and HD space that is just as reliable, but a bit cheaper than Apple?

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

2. smacman macrumors 6502

Congrats! I am in the same situation as you. Just ordered yesterday. I'm planning on buying my RAM from macsales.com (OWC). They ship worldwide, and compared to Apples price for 12GB+, they are way cheaper.

Good luck and enjoy!

3. omegalbagel thread starter macrumors newbie

omegalbagel

macsales.com? Awesome, I'll definitely check them out. Thanks a lot for the advice!

Hope you get your Mac Pro soon!:apple:

4. hualon macrumors 6502

5. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

Also check Amazon. I find their prices to be cheaper sometimes compare to Newegg, and theres no tax for some states as well as free shipping.

6. Transporteur macrumors 68030

7. mctheriot macrumors regular

mctheriot

Do you have a good UPS Power Supply?

Got mine last week and loving it!

Mark

8. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Nice tip. I didn't know that one.

9. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

Can you share the details for/of the UPS you got for you (I assume) 2009 Quad, please?

I'm shopping for a UPS, but can't seem to crack which one is best for me - one that takes into account the machine type, the extra drives and peripherals.

thanks!

10. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

Nice

Nice one man lucky!

Great machines, something i plan to save for in the future for my music production and things like that

Have fun with it, it's a beast!!!

ML:apple:

11. mctheriot macrumors regular

mctheriot

Hi,
    I can recommend the two below. I had the 750 this past summer when some bad storms rolled though - a surge and the the power was out. No impact to my unit (a 24" iMac at that time) and unit ran for about 50 minutes and then executed a power down. The USB cable from the APC plugs into the Mac and power management is available without any other software.

APC 750VA
    - great for any system and will give you 30 to 50 minutes of power depending on what is hooked up.
    APC 1500VA
    - really nice with front displays and more reserve power capacity.

Mark

12. C. Alan macrumors 6502

There must be something going around

I just placed my order for a quad core Mac Pro with Amazon last night.

I also ordered 4 Gigs of Ram along with an additional 1 TB hard drive.

I am replaceing a late 2006 Imac with this machine. I am finding myself doing more and more work with Final Cut Express, and my poor old Imac with only 2 Gigs of ram is having a hard time keeping up. Plus, I want something that is easier to upgrade. I put a 500 gig HD in my Imac last year, and the hardware installation was a PIA. However, time machine made the software instalation a breeze.

I already have a 250 gig SATA drive that I run externally over FW400 as a Scratch Drive for Final cut express. This drive will be going inside the new Mac Pro. The 1 TB drive will be going into my external enclosure, and will be my Time Machine Drive. I like to keep my Time Machine drive external that way I can grap it quick in an emergency, or if someone steals the MP, then hopefully they will leave the time machine drive behind.

As for a monitor, I went with a 25.5 inch samsung. I use a pair of 22" Samsungs at work, and I like the quality of the monitors.

I won't get my Mac Pro for a couple of weeks, so I am trying to be patient! :D

13. C. Alan macrumors 6502

I don't have a UPS at home, but at work, we use APC 1500s. The work pretty nicely, and hold up well when they test the back up generator.

14. omegalbagel thread starter macrumors newbie

omegalbagel

Wow, thanks for all of the tips guys!

It says that I should be getting my Mac Pro between the 22nd, and 28th. Hope it gets here sooner rather than later!

15. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

I wouldn't even boot up the machine with that GT 120 in it, it is absolute crap. The one I have now can't even handle the most basic of tasks

16. omegalbagel thread starter macrumors newbie

omegalbagel

Well, thanks for the attempt to stifle my excitement.

17. CSHawkeye81 macrumors member

Dam I have 2 of those sticks sitting here trying to get rid of them, shoot me a pm.

18. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

hey now, your "basic task" and mine might be a bit different. I think you will be more than happy with the machine that you get, I know I was/am. :D

19. omegalbagel thread starter macrumors newbie

omegalbagel

Well I certainly hope so.

20. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

Thanks Mark!

In a "got my new MP" related question... perhaps someone could help: I'm trying to decide whether getting a second 24" display that matches my current one, or getting a couple of 25.5" displays... both basically the same specs, and both with 1920x1200 resolution (HP brand / TN panels though - nothing too fancy as I don't do color correction).

So.... How will the quality of the image compare between the 24" and the 25.5"? what differences should I expect from the 1.5 extra inch? ... since both have the same resolution, I worry that the images on the 25.5 will be a bit less sharp or crisp than the 24" - same amount of pixels in a larger area...

I've searched this, but found nothing. And I cant see both displays side by side, since they are from different online sellers.

Thanks for your help... and congrats to all that are getting new MPs. I just got mine a couple of weeks ago, and realy like it (except for a couple of glitches, though).