Just ordered my MBP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vomer, May 23, 2011.

1. vomer macrumors member

Just got notification of shipment of my 13" MBP :D

It says it will take a week to arrive but I hope it is sooner!! Any suggestions for a new mac user (coming from windows?).
    :cool:

2. Lococoin macrumors newbie

I just did the same thing two weeks ago. The first thing I did was buy a hard case(the incase perforated). At first I wasn't happy that the apple store didn't have the non perforated one but this one has really grown on me. I also just ordered a moshi keyboard, palm rest cover and radtech screen saverz. The plan is to try and keep this thing looking as nice as possible for as long as possible.

As for the transition from windows to OSX. I think you will enjoy the change. The magic pad is amazing and so far I have no complaints about the mac operating system. I have started importing and labeling my photos in iPhoto. It's taken a bit to get used to no longer working with folders but I can see the benefits already and have a lot left to learn.

Enjoy your new laptop!

3. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

As a noob here myself, I believe that there is a dedicated thread for "Just ordered my MBP" messages...

I purchased one last weekend as well.

Bought it for $999, i5 version.

So far, I purchased 8GB of ram from Crucial.

Keyboard protection cover from Apple.

Installed Windows 7 via Bootcamp. Then VmWare.

Created an image/clone of both partitions via CCC to an external drive.

So far, loving it with no regrets considering I paid less than $1000 for a brand new Macbook Pro.

Cheers.

4. phas3 macrumors 65816

5. phas3 macrumors 65816

where did you purchase your mbp for under 1k?

6. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

Apple Store via price match with Micro Center.

7. phas3 macrumors 65816

they price match microcenter!? damn

8. vomer thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the tips guys! I keep hearing about the keyboard protectors. How important are these? I was thinking of getting an invisible shield type of product for the screen and top lid.

9. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

10. Goohfy macrumors regular

Goohfy

Win. Sorry this just made me laugh, due to the madness I've been reading about the lady that stole the receipt lol.

11. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

That was good. :p

12. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

I'm in the same boat. Apple order status on my 17" just changed to prepared for shipment. My first Mac. Thought I have used 10.2 before.

Also any good laptop bags for the 17". Really need one.

13. KGWVU macrumors regular

KGWVU

I got my first MBP back in September. I stayed away from this forum as I wanted to figure everything out on my own. Once I got the hang of things, I came here and read for days!

My recommendations:
    -Caffeine
    -Better Touch Tool
    -Quiksilver
    -iStat Pro
    -gfxCardStatus
    -Coconut Battery

Good luck!

14. vomer thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the apps. I will check them out! I want to wait and see how the computers performs at 4GB ram. My current laptop has 2GB and I find it ok for my usage.

I also forgot to mention that I ordered a refurb i5. I have heard good things about apple's refurb products and they have the same 1year warranty so I figured why not same me some $$ :) What are your opinions on refurbs?

15. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

Well, I would lock up the receipt as soon as possible. I think phase3 would agree with me that it's the most important item to keep track of...

Thank God you didn't get your MB from Argos! Whew...

16. vomer thread starter macrumors member

lol just read that thread. :rolleyes:

Some people are just.... :confused:

17. CFoss macrumors 6502

I suggest the following Apps:

iWork/Microsoft Office
    While I prefer iWork for presentations, Microsoft Office is more compatible with the Office equivalent on a Windows machine. If you are taking your work home from the office, go with Office. Otherwise, stick with iWork.

Google Chrome
    An excellent alternative to Safari. Fast, light, and I prefer some of the preferences. In fact, I use Chrome as my standard browser.

Adium/Skype
    Adium is a very flexible messenger that's compatible with lot's of different messenger systems: AIM, MSN, etc. Skype is... well, Skype. Works great with the MacBook's iCam.

Steam
    If you enjoy video games, you can't go wrong with Steam. It's a store client that allows you to purchase games online. Not only that, but there are regular sales, some that are insane. (at one point, you could buy Portal for... $0.00. That's right, it was FREE.) Any game you purchase you can reinstall later. You can install Steam games on as many computers as you want, so long as the computer is connected to the Internet. There's a summer sale right now, so make sure you don't miss it.

Perian/VLC
    Video not loading in QuickTime? Have no fear, Perian is here! It's a simple plug-in for QuickTime that allows it to run nearly any video codec out there. Alternatively, VLC is a great video player. I use both on a regular basis.

Handbrake
    Have a DVD you want to permanently store on the computer? Handbrake is the way to go. Handbrake does not remove Copyright Protection from DVDs, and you will need to use alternative software if you wish to break it. Requires VLC installed.

xAct
    Useful for converting audio files that iTunes can't play (FLAC, OGG, etc). It can also split CD images.

Bowtie
    A system preference that allows you to see what iTunes is playing on the desktop. More useful than you think.

Growl
    A notification system that allows other Applications to notify you of certain events, such as someone sending you a message, an application finishing a decode, etc. EXTREMELY useful, highly recommended.

Mouse Acceleration
    Modifies the standard Mouse & Trackpad Acceleration for OS-X. You can change the settings so it feels more natural.

Caffeine
    A simple coffee icon is put on the status bar. If you don't want your Mac to sleep, simply click on the icon.

That's everything I use on a regular basis. Enjoy your new Mac. ;)

18. mac00l macrumors 6502

Why using Quicksilver if it does exactly the same as Spotlight? Command+space bar, and boom, type any letters from a program, and the program will be selected, then just press enter and done.

Apple's refurbs are great. I bought my MBP brand new, but I bought a refurbed Ipod Touch a few years ago, and it still rocks with an amazing battery life.

19. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

My Setup

Use Chrome Browser. 8gbRam. Samsung 470 SSD. Marware super deluxe carrying case. SuperDuper Cloning program, made of copy of my HD onto an old WD MyPassport. Get AppleCare.

20. vomer thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for taking the time to share these! I will check them out.
    The shortcut should help! I gotta learn all the OSx tricks :)

Does 8GB ram make a huge difference? I will be coming from a laptop that has 2GB to the MBP which has 4.

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

22. vomer thread starter macrumors member

thanks!

also guys, I was wondering what case you recommend? I was thinking invisible shield to maintain the original beauty but a lot of people like speck satin.