Just Ordered My MBP!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CappyAA, Apr 6, 2008.

1. CappyAA macrumors newbie

So after a little saving and budgeting, I finally ordered my MacBook Pro. I don't have shipping details yet as my buddy ordered for me (works for Apple so at least I can get a little discount :) ). But here are the specs:

17" MacBook Pro
    2.5 GHz Intel Core Duo Processor
    2 GB RAM
    200 GB Hard Drive at 7200 rpm
    17-inch High Res Matte Display

He also ordered me a copy of Office 2008 as I use it a lot for work, so I might as well have that software.

I'm super excited for the new system as this'll be my first Mac since my parents got one in the mid-90's.

I do, however, have some more stuff I'm planning to get and I'd love some help if possible :)

1. I'm going to max out my RAM at 4 GB. I saw 4 GB for about $100 at Crucial. Can anyone recommend anywhere better to get this that I may get a better deal? Or am I just better off ordering from Crucial?

2. Carrying case and/or sleeve - Any good recommendations?

3. Mouse - I was looking at the Logitech MX Revolution as it looked pretty awesome and I have had nothing but good experiences with Logitech mice. Can anyone recommend a better one?

4. Display - I currently have a 20" Dell monitor I bought 3 years ago. It's nice, but I think I'd like to get a 24" or possibly a 30" monitor to run dual display with the MBP. What are the best ones out there?

Thanks for the help! I'm so excited - I can't wait the 1-2 weeks it's gonna take for this to get here.

2. Live in 3D macrumors newbie

Congrats! As a recent convert I can tell you that your gonna love it. I also purchased 4GB RAM from Crucial for my girlfriend's MacBook as well as my MacBook Pro and I have been very happy with it.

[edit] I also use the MX Revolution. One of the coolest features for me is that I set up the thumb wheel so that flicking forward triggers Spaces, flicking back triggers Expose, and clicking it in triggers Widgets. Plus I absolutely love the way it scrolls through web pages. I don't think I could go back to another mouse now.

3. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I am also fond of the revolution (I am using it now). You will love your mac. I just got the 15 inch and its my first mac ever and I LOVE it.

As for ram newegg has ram for mac as well.

4. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

I'll cross my fingers you get a better one than the !5" 2.4ghz I opened earlier today. A latch that sticks and has to be struggled with to open... an awful, on/off groaning sound from the left front of the computer that sounds like a midget demon giving birth... continual whiring noises I'd estimate to be four times louder than my old Powerbook... a lump on the top surface of the closed lid... a stiff headphone socket that barely accepts a jack that has no problem fitting my Powerbook or any other device... a screen that has a dirty-looking, light brown tinge towards the bottom ... and I haven't even checked for the bad audio problems many have reported here.

It will go back tomorrow of course. But judging from the experiences of many others here, I've little faith in them giving me anything much better.

I hope you are luckier!

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

First off congrats on the purchase. Now to business:
    1) I have the Kingston 2x2GB from NewEgg:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134578

2) I use the Neoprene sleeve. For bags, I like Tumi messenger bags, but they are expensive.

3) Yes the MX is a very good mouse, but I would get the VX Revolution instead. Offers pretty much the same stuff except with a USB donge that stores in the mouse, removable batteries, and less bulk. It's also cheaper. The MX is unwieldy for portable use; it requires a charger and everything.

4) The best displays are by Dell IMO. The 2408W offers everything you need. Of course if you want the best, the 3009WFP is no contest; HDCP, DisplayPort, DVI, VGA, component, etc.