Just ordered my mini... Is PowerMax any good? Coupla questions.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iMpathetic, Dec 29, 2007.

1. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Woohoo! I finally saved up enough for a mini! Well, I am technically $40 short, so I went to PowerMax's Special Deals section, and snagged the Core Duo top-of-the-heap mini, brand new.

1.83GHZ Core Duo, 512MB RAM, 80GB HD, SuperDrive.

My questions are:

1. Is PowerMax a reputable retailer? Have you had good experience with 'em?

2. So, is Boot Camp included on a Leopard retail disk? I have one, and I'd like to fool around with XP.

3. How much RAM do I need? Do I need any more?

4. Is the really crappy vampire video on this thing enough to handle YouTube and such?

5. Was this a good choice for the money, or should I have gotten something else used?

Thanks for all your help everyone, and Happy New Year's Eve Eve!

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

1. Don't know

2. Yes, you can find it in the Applications/Utilities folder.

3. Go for 2GB, it's cheap enough so fit the maximum.

4. Of course it will have no problem with YouTube :confused:

5. You didn't say how much you paid. The mini is great, just enjoy :)

3. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

Forgot to mention, I paid $540. Keep 'em coming everybody, I appreciate it!

4. pscoble macrumors 6502

I think 450 is a great deal for that although be wary because putting in RAM yourself on the MacMini voids your warranty according to a Apple retail worker I don't know if thats true just saying.

5. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Not true as long as you don't break anything. It is tricky, though, so read the online guides before you do it. best wishes.

6. jwp1964 macrumors regular

Powermax is a fantastic little company. I have purchased 3 macs and a couple monitors through them (new and used). No problems and excellent customer service. I discovered them when I lived in Portland.

jwp

7. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Thanks! But why do they need for me to call them instead of just shipping it?

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I think $450 is a good price, especially if you're upgrading your own RAM anyway. $150 more to get a Core 2 Duo (faster at the same GHz) and 512MB more isn't worth it, although it does come with Leopard... but you say you already have that.

You need 1GB minimum. 512MB just won't cut it. But if you're installing your own (note that you get the 1GB in the Apple stock config), go with 2GB... it's worth the $30 more or whatever.
    It handles 1080i HD video I recorded off of the Discovery Channel - and that's on the Core Duo, just like you bought. It'll handle YouTube. :D
    I think it was a pretty good deal. I personally might have saved for the Core 2 Duo... but... the performance gains aren't all that amazing.

9. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Thanks. CRAP! I just realized the typo! I paid $540! The only reason why I ask about the video is cause my friend has his exact same mini hoked up to a 15" LCD even though he could do a 19 incher if he wanted, I thought that was about video quality.

So, any more scoop on PowerMax?

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

1. PowerMax is reputable retailer.
    2. Bootcamp is part of Leopard. Under Applications / Utilities (or just use spotlight, in the upper right corner, to search. You can use keyboard Command-Space to bring up spotlight, start typing something, if an app, typically hit the down key and enter/return key to launch).
    3. Depends on what you do. You probably will want more RAM.
    4. There is no such thing as "vampire video". The integrated graphics card in this particular MacMini can handle 1920x1200, and will handle HD 720 format fine, and may handle HD 1920. Cannot play the latest first shooter game though.
    5. $540 is alright.

Congrats!

11. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Many thanks! The only reason why I was asking about PowerMax on this thread is cause my dad was ordering it for me (and I paid him back, xD) and he thought the part where a person calls us to discuss our order instead of shipping it was kinda weird. If anyone gets why, don't hesitate to lemme know, it's a bit puzzling. :confused:

12. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

There are two likely reasons for this.
    1. They want to up sell. ie Peripherals, Upgrades, Warranty
    2. Verify billing info to help reduce their risk of being hit by credit fraud.

As for the price $540 is nothing to write home about but it is still a good deal. Hopefully you get a backstock of a the discontinued model over, open-box, demo or refurbished. All have a 1 year warranty so all is well.

I agree with what others have said get 2GB RAM. I would recommend going through newegg.com for great prices. For $40 and mini compatible this is a great deal http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145157

13. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Yes, it was brand new, just backstock, so I'm pretty happy about it. I wonder if it comes with Leopard?

14. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

If you paid $540 for it you got a bad deal, considering the base mini starts at $599 with 1GB RAM, 80GB HD and a C2D.

EDIT: The C2D mini also comes with Leopard which is $129 if you have to buy it.

15. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

True, but I don't care too much. See, i am forced to use a 498MHz Pentium 3 laptop right now, and frankly, I'd like a decent computer ASAP. BTW, I actually won a copy of Leopard in a drawing, so I'm covered on that.

16. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

540 is fine. Although 599 gets you the newest model and a core 2 duo, it doesn't have the dvd burner.

17. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

Yeah, mine will have a DVD burner. Which is fairly important to me, cause my idiot sister just put a nasty Trojan on my dad's laptop that he's letting her use. The recovery disks are too scratched up to use, so I'm going to try and reborn it.

Now, my only problem is waiting for the rep to call tomorrow so he can ship it.

18. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Somewhat of an upgrade then :D
    Its all well and good saying "for x extra you could have got y this and z that" unless you just cant afford any more :eek:

You'll love the mini.

19. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

When I got my Core Duo 1.66GHz Mac mini a couple of months ago, Apple had updated to iLife '08 about a week earlier. My mini was brand new too, so i was shocked to find that the newest iLife suite had been included. They had just opened the box and dropped the DVD in there. You couldn't even tell it had been opened, so everybody was happy. I'm pretty sure the Leopard upgrade disk is in there, even though it might not be. Regardless, you have Leopard already! :) Congrats on your mini, you'll love it.

20. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

1. PowerMax is a reputable company. I have purchased 3 desktops, and 2 ibooks, and 1 aluminum PowerBook.

They called me the first time to verify my order and ask if I needed anything else. Since the mini has no keyboard, mouse, or monitor they might be asking of you need any of these accessories.

2. Bootcamp is included with Leopard.

3. Max out the RAM. (PowerMax does charge to do this, cheap however.)

4. YouTube works just fine.

5. Depending on what your going to use the mini for, you should be fine.

Happy New Year to you and yours also.

21. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Whew! Great! This sort of reply makes me feel all fuzzy inside! So, I take it you purchased your mini from PowerMax then?

22. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

I purchased my Mini from L.A. Computer, but most places drop-in DVD's when something has been upgraded. BTW, your getting a good deal on your mini. Mine was $500 and it had a slower processor, a Combo drive, and a 60GB HD. Regardless, I would think the newest iLife and Leopard would ship with a new computer. :)

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Powermax is ok. I used them when I was in WA. No tax and they took trade ins. Got a nice iPod mini before anyone else because I was first on their list. That was back when even the Apple Stores didn't have them yet, and when they did, they were quickly out of stock. But I still think they short changed me a few dollars. I could have sworn I had more credited to my account, I think some of it expired. They also took an old monitor I had, then said it didn't work (even though I know it did) and wanted me to come all the way back and pick it up. I told them I didn't want it, and even though that was before they were charging to recycle old products that didn't work, they still charged my account. Buying from them was fine though, even if my particular contact didn't seem to really communicate with me, and almost seemed like I was inconveniencing her when I was ordering.

Add more RAM though.

24. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

You can try using Avast Antivirus at avast.com. Just use the free Avast 4 Home Edition. After installation manually choose a boot time scan and set the scanner settings to scan all local disks and to scan archive files. You will need to right click the tray icon choose "Start Avast antivirus" and in the menu "Schedule boot time scan" then reboot.

25. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Oh. Well right now I am harboring a grudge against my sister and my father so I don't feel like helping them. They don't like for me to try and fix computer stuff even though they can't tell a stick of RAM from a giant ham.