Just Ordered My New Baby. (2.93 GHz + SSD)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by The Red Wolf, Mar 26, 2009.

1. The Red Wolf macrumors regular

The Red Wolf

Hey Everyone,
    I'm excited, I took the plunge and have ordered a 17" MacBook Pro with the 2.93 GHz processor, 4 GB RAM, Anti-Glare Display and the 256 GB SSD option.

I saw the anti-glare in the store and there was no contest, had to get it. Now I have to painstakingly wait the 5 business days for my lovely to come.

I'm wondering if it will ship from Elk Grove CA, if that's the case I may see it sooner than later as I'm about an hour from there in California. Hope it's not a "We'll let you know when China is done assembling it".

Anyway, I'll post speed tests once I get her.

2. mcMacnewbie macrumors newbie

nice. same as mine except i didn't bother with the 2.93 processor. Can compare geekbench when it arrives. I do hope to upgared to 8GB RAM when I can afford it and prices ease off.

Your config will mean it weighs just a tad over 6llbs and not 6.6llbs as you have the lighter drive and no glass.

Mc

3. apersianboyCOM macrumors 6502

congrats thats awesome... I know how you feel :D
    I hope to upgrade my HD to SSD when the price comes down!

4. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

that is a kickass machine dude. i cant wait for the TRIMM SSD's to come out. then my machine will be perfect.:D

5. The Red Wolf thread starter macrumors regular

The Red Wolf

SSD Price vs. Power

Well, the price will come down, but I need the machine now. I'm moving to 1080p HD video editing and the 15.4" isn't cutting it and I don't have an external display. The cost of the display, 4 GB of ram (3.3 accessible, another bottleneck of my current machine) and a new HD (Down to 16 GB Free on my 160) I realized I was halfway to a computer.

As for the SSD, after seeing the speed times and comparing other 256 GB SSDs, the price Apple is charging is actually $25 cheeper. Also I have a business discount with Apple through work, it's about 8% or something. But it saved $310 off the price.

So I decided to go with the SSD. As for the weight of the machine, that should be great to shave off half a pound. As for the SSD drive not having any moving parts, I'm really excited about that. I'm always on the move with my machine. I feel like for the firs time this is a true desktop replacement and not just a close second.

It's pricy yes, but in the end I think I'll be happy.

6. Pagga macrumors 6502

Pagga

Closer to the Artic circle than I like to be
    I couldn't affort the solid state either, but I have a
    equally solid feeling this is the key to a notanly faster machine.
    As of now, 2.93 GHZ and 4GB RAM doesn't really make much of
    a difference from my older core 2 duo machines.

Congrats to you. The 17" is a small treasure in your lap

P

7. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

8. The Red Wolf thread starter macrumors regular

The Red Wolf

8 Gb + SSD

After playing with a few transition renderings and audio unit tasks with the 17" vs. my current 15", the speed was blistering. 667MHz RAM vs. 1066MHz RAM. Faster system bus. 6MB L2 cache vs. 2MB L2 cache. 603MHz faster processor. Smaller die process... The beast eats my current machine for breakfast. Not to mention the coming advantage of 9400 256 MB Dedicated System VRAM + 9600 512 MB VRAM open CL mode in Snow Leopard. I like having a portable PS3 with a 1080p HD+ display.

9. gathart macrumors regular

I know how you feel, 10/7 i also place my order macbook pro 17" 2.96 ordinary hd and a 24" screen as well. Can't wait....

10. chris.robison macrumors regular

11. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

If your 15" mbp isnt cutting it then I would guess the new unibody 17" wont cut it either, if not barely cutting it for the 1080p material. I would go for a Mac Pro desktop if your handling with a lot of HD materials.