Just ordered my new Mac - got some software questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lostz711, Oct 23, 2008.

1. lostz711 macrumors newbie

I am totally excited I just ordered my first Mac, a new Macbook Pro. I had been playing around with it a couple of times at the Apple Store. I wanted to get the upgraded 2.8 processor and they told me I had to order it online. Now I am waiting 7-10 days before it ships. :)

I do have some questions. Can I use any external USB hard drive to use Time Capsule? Will Time Capsule backup all my documents as well?

Secondly, is their a good equivalent to anything like SecureCRT? I work allot with Cisco routers and wanted to know what applications you guys use to console into them. I already have a USB-DB9 adapter. What else should I use to console into a router?

Lastly, I don't suppose there is a equivalent to Visio or Microsoft Access is there? From what I could find there did not seem to be a equivalent. I did get VMWare Fusion to help me out in those matters.

2. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

i believe you are thinking of Time Machine. and yes you can use any USB/Firewire ext. hdd with it. and it will back up whatever you want it to. Time Capsule is the router/hdd combo.

that's the only question i can answer for you.

3. macsmurf macrumors 65816

macsmurf

ssh? All unix-like systems in existence support ssh, AFAIK.

4. djellison macrumors 68020

In terms of DB work - the pro end has 'Filemaker' and the consumer version is called Bento - I've used Bento a bit, and it's quite good.

Visio - I'm still looking for something like that. Designing racks, floor plans etc - not found a good thing for that yet.

Doug