Just ordered my new Mac Pro! ?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Soura2112, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Soura2112 macrumors 6502

Well I went in the middle to be a tad future proof (8 Core), says it will be here by Christmas, very excited and intimated at the same time.
    My question is this, will my old 20" Apple display work fine with this the new Mac Pros? I also have an old 32" flat screen in my garage which I am thinking of hooking it up to until I find a new display. I really like the look of Apples new display, except it is expensive, and lacks Firewire which I noticed at my local Apple store

Excited because my G5 has been mainly a dust collector the past year, limiting my work in a major way.
    Intimated because I will need a lot of application updates, so more $$$, plus I need to update my video gear. Been out of video production for a good year and want to start up my side business again. I need to re learn a few things plus learn some Applications from scratch, which I am excited about.
    My G5 was my first Apple product I owned, it took over my life and I was on it hours on end every day. Now we have 4 Apple computer in the house, Ipods, iphones, Apple TV etc. Lately I have been using my Dad's iMac (he works out of town, but I don't want to put too much on it) and I miss having a desktop all to myself, laptops are great just a little limited in size. Sorry for the ramble, just excited! Been 5 years since my last huge Apple purchase.
    Can't wait to get started like I did with the G5, as I kept finding new things to add on, granted back then I knew very little, and everything was more expensive.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Assuming your display is the aluminum model, it will work fine with your new Pro through the DVI port.

3. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Shouldn't be a problem, worst case you may have to buy a converter.

Is the 20" an aluminum with DVI? if so, it should be just plug and play.

4. InsanelyApple macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

You could afford a 3500 dollar computer, but not a 1000 dollar monitor?

5. Vylen macrumors 65816

Being able to spend a certain amount of money doesn't imply that a person can spend more than that.

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

Good point.

But what it also tends to mean is that the user didn't plan the system properly (MP + upgrades such as RAM, disk I/O, monitor/s, input devices, cameras and/or lenses, ... + software). Unfortunately, this seems fairly common from what I can tell on MR (plan for the cost of the MP, but fall short on the extras they need). :(

7. Vylen macrumors 65816

True.. but most people should understand that money comes and goes, and in the same way that they can afford to purchase a Mac Pro right now, they should be able to afford to purchase any upgrades they may like to get in the future (i.e. save up money again -> From OP: "I also have an old 32" flat screen in my garage which I am thinking of hooking it up to until I find a new display.").

Planning expenses on a current purchase isn't the only possible type of plan a person can make - they can naturally plan the uncertain future. ;)

8. wafl iron macrumors regular

my 20 inch acd works with my 5870 just fine.

no converter needed

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

I understand your point (planning in stages is definitely a valid way of doing things). :) Happens in the enterprise side all the time (when planned upgrades are too big/complicated and expensive to attempt all at once). ;)

But my post aimed more towards students that have very limited funds (funds are usually tight from the start, and perhaps a bit unpredictable in terms of availability <i.e. date student loans, grants, ... are released>). Unlike a pro that has a solid client base for continuous cash flow comparitively speaking (may not be rock solid in terms of quarterly income, but they know when the project and payment dealines are, and can plan accordingly with better accuracy).

10. Soura2112 thread starter macrumors 6502

Aluminum case

Yes I have a 20" aluminum case display.
    For not buying the new display I will be adding to it in the next couple of months. I know my G5 inside and out and assume I can do even more extras as I go. The computer itself was a Christmas present, can't make the bill even higher at the moment so one thing at a time. Who knows my dad may come home with a new display for me since he gets all my presents from the apple store. If a new display was absolutely needed then I would get one now, till funds are right my plan will work well. Thanks to those who understand how people use their money the way they want and have a plan. Though I did leave that out from my original post.
    Thanks for the info on the display I appreciate it.

11. mike457 macrumors 6502

Congratulations! I hope you enjoy it, and I hope your side business goes well.:)

12. jsilas macrumors regular

This.

'Grats on the new toy, and best of luck with the side business.

13. dethrow macrumors newbie

Gratz to the computer. Best **** I've ever bought. :apple:

14. Soura2112 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks

Thanks for the nice words. Hopefully I can save some money for upgrades fairly soon.
    Can't wait to see the difference in speed from my G5. Plus the look of a new setup, of course the new monitor will make it better. Can't wait for all the external drives to be put away for awhile. I'm lucky to have a local FRYs to add new hard drives pretty cheap. plus adding what we hear in the rummor page.
    Thanks again, been an exciting day. Nice to have fellow apple geeks to talk with.

15. bllfish macrumors newbie

I agree Vylen. There are a lot of monitors out there that need a lot of research to decide which one fits your likes and preferences. Some say go as big as possible, others say stay smaller and use several, some like glossy others don't. Getting the new computer seems to be the most important step and the peripherals will come over time. The reason for this forum is to help users out and hopefully make the most of their new system by avoiding the mistakes made previously. Just my opinion.

16. Soura2112 thread starter macrumors 6502

Displays

Thanks again for the comments made about how one should spend their money. The computer itself is by far the most important at the moment not the display because I need to do more research and ask my fellow Macrummor friends. I do like the glossy display to a degree, though I want the best visual for FCP and how it will translate to most flat screen TVs on the market. I love the look of the Apple display and how it compliments the whole Apple look. Except I would prefer a FireWire in the back and a camera in the display, so the Apple display is almost perfect, just wanted FireWire.
    I would like to have 2 displays one day and at a grand a piece that's pricey. 20" is to small for the main display these days 2 23" or larger would be great... One day.
    For FCP and Photoshop what displays would you recommend for those programs? Add in a built in camera and at least USB ports.
    If I did go with the new Apple display would my 20" allow me 2 displays that work properly? If so then I get to see the final video on glossy and non glossy.
    I'm not a big fan of salesman in FRYS or Best Buy, no desesrespect if you work there, just looking for those who use these programs, and not padding sales stats. If I go to an Apple store for advice I get one answer.
    Thanks so much!
    My computer room was taken over from my dad who uses it at most once a month and I dislike my current setup so lots of work to do.