Just ordered my new Macbook Pro!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kingcrowing, Jul 12, 2008.

1. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

I just got back from my campus store, I ordered a base 2.4GHz Macbook Pro and I'm getting a free iPod touch!

I also just placed an order on newegg for 4GB of RAM for $52! This thing should scream, and from what I've heard 4GB actually helps out battery life quite a bit also. Anyways I'm hoping mine is good to go when I get it (no GPU/Audio issues), but I figure if it's really got problems, I'll get it replaced with the next revision anyways.

Should be here in about 2 weeks! Hopefully less!

PS: Tax free weekend in VT so I saved over $160 on top of the $200 education discount and $300 free iPod! Amazing!

2. nyzballa12 macrumors member

Congrats! And how does the Education discount work? Do you just select your school and buy the MBP? Or do you have to put in any other information such as your student number or such?

3. kabunaru Guest

4. DJAznSensation macrumors member

DJAznSensation

Congrats!

does upgrading really help battery life? never herd that one

5. Eric. macrumors regular

I hadn't thought about it, but it could. If you use a lot of programs (and thus, RAM) on a 2GB machine it has to write to a swap file (or whatever the Mac equivalent is) on the hard drive when it fills up. With 4GB of RAM it wouldn't have to access the drive so much. Chances are that most applications that are using that much RAM are probably ones for editing media or something though, which is going to be reading from the drive a lot already I would think.

6. kingcrowing thread starter macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

Exactly, the more RAM you have, the less you use you hard drive, and the HD is one of the things that used the most power when the discs are spinning. I'll report back on what I get for battery life.

I went to my campus store and paid for it right there because it's a Tax Free weekend in Vermont. But if you are a University student or staff/faculty for a university (Of which I am both, a student and employee) then you can just go onto Apples education store site and buy it online, they don't ask for any information other than what school you go to and you have to say that you do go there and will only buy 1 desktop, 1 laptop, and 1 iPod per year.

I don't think they ever check though.