Just ordered my new MBP!!! (questions inside)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Icarus73, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Icarus73 macrumors regular

After nearly 3 years, I've decided to upgrade my 1.33 ghz 12" iBook G4. The screen flickers off and on as it pleases, the mic and speakers don't work, the battery has been dead for about a year, and my mac-using friends wonder what the hell it is (G4 is vintage to them).

I got the baseline 15.4" MacBook Pro with 2.4ghz, 2gb of RAM, and I opted for the glossy display (it really doesn't bother me on my girlfriend's macbook).

So hopefully I'll enjoy Leopard over Tiger, like the multitouch trackpad and see a performance increase when I run ProTools and even just all around.

So, to the questions:

1. I want to eventually upgrade to 4GB of RAM. Where is the cheapest place to get reliable RAM?
    2. Is applecare worth it? (it wasn't on my ibook...the issues I had fixed with it, I still had to pay for)...but should i be anticipating more problems with my MBP?
    3. What should I do to prolong the overall battery life in my MBP? Leave it plugged in all the time? use the battery all the time til it's dead and then fully charge it? Use it halfway and then charge it up?

I think that's it for now. Any answers are appreciated!

Thanks,
    Tim

2. MARTB macrumors newbie

I'm curious too on the battery question. I leave mine plugged in all time accept once a month I completely drain the battery. There are the periodic short battery uses within the month.

Thanks

3. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Hi there...congrats on your purchase!

1. The best place to buy RAM is Newegg.com. They have very cheap prices on RAM. For your MBP you need to buy PC2-5300 RAM (200 pin). The best brands are Crucial and Corsair. Another place you can try is frys.com. They both have great prices.
    2. Yes...get it. Don't think twice. When I had my iBook I had about 5 repiars before getting a MacBook. Without it I would have spent well over $1500...which is more than the iBook!
    3. Read this article on Calibrating your Battery: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/9036.html and

4. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

1. Newegg has pretty decent prices. Great customer service. Bought my 4GB GSkill CL4 Kit from there.
    2. ALWAYS buy AppleCare with a laptop purchase. You dont have to get it right away, but get it before a year passes or you won't be able to after.
    3. Cycle once a week is a good habit. Calibrate once a month.

5. Icarus73 thread starter macrumors regular

hahaha, did an apple sales rep seriously tell you they have the regular or ultimate edition?

6. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

haha yea

in 2006 when the first Meroms came out in late October I called everywhere to see if they had it in stock...this one apple store rep said what my sig states.

For a moment I thought I had called a store selling Microsoft products. :confused:

but do get Apple Care. The stuff I got fixed on my old "merom" MBP paid for itself. i have since sold that MBP and bought a new "old stock" 2.4 SR. No problems yet.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Since all advice I would have given has already been given...

Congratulations on this purchase!

8. TraustiB macrumors member