Just ordered my new SSD.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by onmi, Jul 6, 2012.

1. onmi macrumors newbie

Ended up going with a Crucial M4 128 GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5 inch SSD drive on amazon for $116 with shipping for my mid 2010 15" Macbook Pro.
    I'm planning on waiting on installing when the new Mac OS comes out and I'll install it in.

My questions are:

Can I just open up the macbook, replace the stock HDD with the SSD, insert a boot CD or USB drive, boot from USB/CD and use disk utility to format and install the OS X? Or is there some other method I should be using?

And with SSDs I need to be enabling Trim? What is that exactly and how would I enable that on this SSD?

Here is a direct link to what I purchased in case you guys wanna know which SSD it is.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004W2JKZI/ref=ox_ya_os_product

Thanks all. :):apple:

2. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

Just installed the 512 edition last night. I booted lion from usb and used disk utility to format and install. Everything went great.

3. onmi thread starter macrumors newbie

Great to know, thanks.

What about my question on Trim?

4. Sairo macrumors regular

Sairo

Different opinions on trim.
    One says he doesnt notice any difference while others say Its a boost and you even have people who say it slowed down the system.

Try before you die? I guess...

----------

About Trim enabeling;
    http://digitaldj.net/2011/07/21/trim-enabler-for-lion/

5. onmi thread starter macrumors newbie

6. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Yeh I've always thought that was odd how there could be so many opinions on Trim, trim is trim... should be one or the other, yet people say it made it slower, faster, or no difference lol