Just ordered new Air/iMac, what to do with old MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brayhite, Jun 11, 2012.

1. brayhite macrumors 6502a

Hey everybody,

I just ordered the new Air and iMac for work and personal use. I'm now unsure what to do with my early 2008 Macbook Pro. I would have traded it in to Apple and used the credit towards my purchase, but I can't afford to go a couple days without a computer (it's my work computer), so I had to order everything first.

If I was to sell, $500 would work, in case anyone is interested.

However, I was curious as to what some uses there are for a Macbook Pro with 250 GB hard drive space at home beyond just a "back up" laptop of sorts. I would have to replace the battery at some point, as it's reached its "Replace Now" status, so any use would have to consider that.

And I am sure Mountain Lion would not be supported on this, so I'd be stuck with Lion.

I've considered making it a dedicated desktop next to the iMac. Just clear everything but the OS off of it and replace the battery, but I fear the hard drive will crap out any day and it'd be a waste of $120 for a new battery.

Any ideas would be awesome!

2. pHeNom macrumors regular

How about donating it to a veterans or other foundations to help the less fortunate?