Just ordered new iMac, update imminent? Confused...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Amati, May 2, 2010.

1. Amati macrumors newbie

Hi All,

So my first post on this forum together with ordering my first Apple computer...

I just ordered a new iMac 27inch i7 after a long period of consideration and carefull reading (especially on the pages of this forum). However, after I ordered today I saw the advice in the Buyers Guide was switched to 'buy only if you need it - approaching end of a cycle'. My question therefore is, am I making a mistake?

Cons for me are the fact that the iMac just saw a major update on both design and internal aspects. They are already using Intel's latest chips and Intel won't come with anything new this year. Maybe the i7 becomes part of a standard configuration instead of an option and last but not least it is already beautifull the way it looks now..

However, the pros are that I would regret it if the new model would come with a Blu-Ray player or maybe even a touchscreen (or have I read to many rumors...)

Of course I know the arguments like 'if you keep waiting you'll never be able to buy something' but in my case it is not about having the latest gadgets but all about getting myself a computer that should last me for about 6 years so i'm interested in your opinions.

Thanks.

Greetings from the Netherlands.

Joost

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Not going to happen any time soon. You'll be fine. Any refresh would be minor spec bumps.

3. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Agreed. You're not going to see anything huge. Certainly not a Blu-Ray player (I doubt you'll ever see that), and honestly, touch screens on desktops are probably never going to happen either in the mainstream unless self-cleaning glass becomes available. You can always dream, but a minor spec bump is probably the best you'll get if you wait.

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Assuming you bought the machine because you either needed or wanted one, you did the right thing. Enjoy it. :cool:

5. bokap macrumors newbie

Do you think they would add the option of solid state HD when they refresh?

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

As you bought the quad core iMac, there is nothing to worry about. Next gen high-end won't differ much from current plus waiting game is endless

7. cryer macrumors regular

I'm in the same boat as the original poster. What if the next iMac refresh is a 30" screen with more ports, faster gpu, bump in clock speed on the cpu, etc?

Also, the refurb store has iMac i7's in so time is of the essence is deciding this... that is, if I decide to buy now, those refurb units may sell out.

What to do?

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Next update will very likely be no more than a minor spec bump. Last update was the biggest for years so it's not likely that Apple will come up with a major one, so if you're getting the i5/i7, just buy now

9. Amati thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for your replies.

Hellhamer, usb 3.0 is also unlikely I guess? Since Intel isn't supporting it (yet)?

I definitely think the design won't be renewed because it is fairly new...

10. Stars&Stripes macrumors newbie

I don't think you'd ever see a 30" iMac for now (...probably never?), that's almost as big as a TV and it'd be terribly uncomfortable to use.

I'm looking forward to HDMI ports though, do you guys think they'll implement those?

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yeah, no USB 3.0 until early 2011

That's what people said when 20" was the high-end "24" would be like a TV, way too big", same for 27".

Well, now that MDP can carry both video and audio, I think HDMI isn't needed. HDMI licensing costs are pretty high

12. seb-opp macrumors 6502

people should use the Macrumors buyers guide more often. Also I think its best to assume Apple will update the macs yearly nowadays. Macs these days should be able to handle future OS revisions way into the future, they are all 64-bit and all have decent enough GPUs

13. BobbyCat macrumors regular

BobbyCat

Joost,

I agree with what's been said here. Most probably no major upgrade in the near future.
    Besides, if the average number of days is narrowing in the buyer's guide, it doesn't mean there'll be a great update or a significant price reduction in a month from now. You might have a minor speed bump announced in june but no availability before july. Then again, maybe the speed bump won't come before september or even november.
    All in all, if you just ordered, no reason to regret anything.
    Personnally I'm waiting until september, but the only reason is because I won't be able to afford a 27" until then. Believe me I hate waiting that long!

14. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

In other words, you think that the 30" Apple Cinema Display is uncomfortable to use - especially, let's say, when you're a professional photographer and have two of them connected to a Mac Pro and use Aperture full time. Well, to make it short, I don't agree. :)

15. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

I personally am going to wait till they make the i5/i7 a little cheaper. I am just hoping that when they make it standard across the line it will be cheaper.

At the moment I think they are a little expensive.

But it will be nice when apple lowers the price. if they lower the price.

16. ihaveNFC Guest

Agreed, but highly unlikely. :(

17. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Apple could and likely will use Clarkdale in lower-end iMacs, they start @113$, 20$ cheaper than the current 3.06GHz used in iMac but Clarkdale still performs a lot better, even though it's dual core. Quad core i5/i7 will likely remain 27" only due heat but we could see dual core i3 and i5 in iMacs along with next update

18. Stars&Stripes macrumors newbie

No, all I'm saying is a 30" iMac would seem really uncomfortable and unikely to be seen (for now). And I've never mentioned anything about photogs :confused:, of course it would be comfortable for you, but not for the average consumer, IMO.

19. cryer macrumors regular

The online apple refurb store has them in stock now for $300-400 cheaper an buying new. Just a heads up.

20. cryer macrumors regular

The online apple refurb store has them in stock now for $300-400 cheaper than buying new. Just a heads up.

21. cryer macrumors regular

I'd love a 30", I'm actually kind of settling for a 27" because that's all they have. And I am not a photographer (I do web design)