Just ordered new mac pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Chad H, May 6, 2009.

1. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Hey guys,
    I finally made the plunge and ordered a brand new 2.66Ghz quad core Mac Pro. Only tweaks I made were adding a second super drive and the ATI graphics card. I also ordered a 24" Apple LED display, 8GB RAM(OWC), and 1.5TB WD HDD for the second bay(itunes media). I was wondering what you guys thought about this setup as a gaming rig? I currently run the iMac in my sig with a 256MB nvidia card. I'm hoping I can max out L4D and play crysis a little bit higher. Anyway, just wanted anyones to input on the setup.

Thanks,
    Chad

2. trevpimp macrumors regular

trevpimp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11a Safari/525.20)

Very nice setup man :D

3. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

I have a similar machine to yours, but the GT 120 gfx card and stock 3GB of RAM. It seems to be a wonderful system, though I don't really play games. I tried X-Plane at LAX with every graphics setting at max (anti-aliasing, highest detail, most buildings, etc) and at full screen on my 24" screen it probably had close to 25 fps. So not perfect, but I know that's demanding a lot from the video card. The CPU certainly wasn't bogged down.

4. Chad H thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Well I'm hoping with the ATI card and 8gb of ram I can run most at max settings. Any input?