Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tyrion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2002
So, I'm planning to buy a 17"-MBP, and after some contemplation, I've decided to replace the useless Superdrive with an SSD. My plan now is to get the 17" with the 128 GB SSD (I can get the good EDU-pricing on that), replace the SSD with a new SATA-III SSD, and put Apple's SSD into the Superdrive's bay using the data doubler. I'm then going to install OS X onto the new SSD in the main HDD-bay and use the 128 GB SSD as a secondary drive.

1) Am I going about this the right way? Did I overlook anything? Will this setup work well?
2) Does using an SSD in the Superdrive-bay cause any quirks? Some people are reporting sleep/hibernation issues, but doesn't that only happen when the data doubler-drive is also your boot drive?
3) Will this void my warranty?

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
it won't void your warranty as long as you don't physically break anything while installing/removing things.

I had installed a better HDD in my early 08" MBP, which was NOT user replaceable. I had the logicboard replaced after I did this, as well as the keyboard. They even wrote up in my repairs that I upgraded the RAM and HDD. Genius said that it is fine as long as I didn't break anything in the process.

Perhaps this is just my experience. You ask 20 people the same question, you will get 10 answers.

drbobguy

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2011
it won't void your warranty as long as you don't physically break anything while installing/removing things.

I had installed a better HDD in my early 08" MBP, which was NOT user replaceable. I had the logicboard replaced after I did this, as well as the keyboard. They even wrote up in my repairs that I upgraded the RAM and HDD. Genius said that it is fine as long as I didn't break anything in the process.

Perhaps this is just my experience. You ask 20 people the same question, you will get 10 answers.

Hard Drive and RAM upgrades are user-serviceable and will not void your warranty. This has been true for Apple laptops for a long time now (including that 2008 model).

Taking out the Superdrive most definitely does void your warrant, although if you're careful not to disturb things you could always put it back in before you go for servicing. They still might notice though, since screws and cables and things will obviously have been tampered with.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Hard Drive and RAM upgrades are user-serviceable and will not void your warranty. This has been true for Apple laptops for a long time now (including that 2008 model).

Taking out the Superdrive most definitely does void your warrant, although if you're careful not to disturb things you could always put it back in before you go for servicing. They still might notice though, since screws and cables and things will obviously have been tampered with.

HDD upgrade for EARLY 2008 was not, only since late 2008 for MBP's, it was only regular macbooks before then.

whateverandever

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2006
Baltimore
HDD upgrade for EARLY 2008 was not, only since late 2008 for MBP's, it was only regular macbooks before then.

No, it was still considered user serviceable by Apple even though it wasn't an easy pop-in/out like the MacBooks were. There were guides on their website on how to do it, even.

Tyrion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2002
OK, so the warranty thing is unclear to say the least. I'll have to think about all of this some more. What about my other points?

AdamRock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Toronto
it wont void your warranty if they don't notice - if your mac breaks, simply take the data doubler out, put the optical drive back then bring it to the apple store.

txhockey9404

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2008
I can't speak about the warranty situation, but I do want to ask this...
Why not buy the largest stock HDD you can from Apple, then put that in the data doubler and put your newly purchased SSD in the main bay? Then you have the boot and app speed of an SSD as well as the storage of an HDD. Honestly, I can't see myself being able to fit everything I carry with me on my laptop on 2 128gb SSDs. I'd rather have a 128gb SSD and a 500gb or 750gb HDD.

Tyrion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2002
I can't speak about the warranty situation, but I do want to ask this...
Why not buy the largest stock HDD you can from Apple, then put that in the data doubler and put your newly purchased SSD in the main bay? Then you have the boot and app speed of an SSD as well as the storage of an HDD. Honestly, I can't see myself being able to fit everything I carry with me on my laptop on 2 128gb SSDs. I'd rather have a 128gb SSD and a 500gb or 750gb HDD.

I thought about that, but:

1) the 128 GB SSD is a very cheap upgrade from Apple (about 90$).
2) I'd buy a 256 GB SSD to put in the main HD bay, so I'd have 128+256. Not a lot of space, but enough for the time being.
3) the Superdrive bay doesn't have a sudden motion sensor, so if I put Apple's HDD in there, it won't be protected against sudden movement. The SSD is obviously impervious to this anyway.

Tyrion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2002
it wont void your warranty if they don't notice - if your mac breaks, simply take the data doubler out, put the optical drive back then bring it to the apple store.

That was my thinking too, to be honest. I was under the impression that they somehow mark the screws though, so that they can tell whether they were ever tampered with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.