Just ordered Samsung 830 SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jefferyd32, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Jefferyd32 macrumors regular

After two HD failures in the last year, I decided to go with an SSD. I stopped storing very much on my MBP anyway, and figure I'll trade the speed and reliability of an SSd for the storage. I have a mid 2009 MBP, this is my fist HD install. ( I know it is super easy, but in the past it was easier to just pay someone) Anything special I should look out for before I do the install? Going from 500Gb to 128gb. We'll see if I can pair things down a bit. I have 135 GB of music alone, and about 800 gb of movies. Thank goodness for the mac mini!

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

High five? :cool:

I woud have gotten the 256GB but thats me.

3. Jefferyd32 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah. I would've liked the 256 too, but the wife was holding the wallet and she was already not thrilled to replace another drive.

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Sounds like you need to take her wallet or put her in check.

5. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Hopefully the 830 works for you. There are great reviews on that drive. Just go slowly during the installation, and remember to discharge your fingers before going at the HDD. Remove the bracket and mounting screws carefully, place them somewhere so you know where each one goes back in, etc - don't forget about the SATA connector too.

6. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

I also just recently purchased a 830. Should I leave trim off? or turn it on?

7. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

good choice!
    I have trim enabled although I've read here on the forum from other users that nobody has noticed any difference so far

8. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

It doesn't really matter. You can turn it on to see how it performs or just leave it off if you don't want to mess with it.

9. BigMoo macrumors member

I just got a 256 and have to say I am really enjoying it.