Just ordered the Etymotic hf2.

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by chaoticprout, Feb 18, 2008.

1. chaoticprout macrumors member

I was on the waiting list and just ordered mine, should hopefully get them soon. Anyone else have them? Thoughts. Here's the link to their page: http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/hf2.aspx

2. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

good buy! these have similar freq. response as the er4p, which are pretty good IEMs (not as good as the er4s, IMO). i don't like the stems sticking out so much, but i probably would have gone for these had i not had a pair of damaged er6i that got second life by sending them in to ultimate buds to hybridize with the iphone earbuds/mic.

3. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Yes, a very very good buy. The OP won't be disappointed with these.

However, I challenge the claim that the ER-4s are superior to the ER-4p. The ER-4p has the benefit of being able to being able to adapt to the ER-4s using a special connector and without this they have all the same features except enhanced bass response and higher sound output. Whilst the ER-4s have better response accuracy, the ER-4p use a small cable to convert them to ER-4s. I would say that makes the ER-4p the best 'all-round' performer.

My only real dislike is also the length of the stems, but once these earphones are in your ear, you can barley feel their presence.

4. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

sure, the er4p with the p->s adapter is the better buy, but the er4s is still superior soundwise to the er4p, whether it's just the er4s or the er4p with the p->s adapter on. the utility of the er4p is that it can be used out of the ipod and still sound good. the er4s really needs a dedicated headphone amp to sound its best.

5. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Would you mind letting us know when you get them / what you think of them? I'm just wondering if the "backorder" aspect is really true, and what your opinion is.

Thanks!

6. chaoticprout thread starter macrumors member

BTW: My hf2's come in tomorrow, so impressions later in the day probably. As for the "backorder" thing, I put myself on the waiting list 2 days after MacWorld (I somehow missed them at the Moscone center when I was there) and got contacted 3 weeks later saying they got a small shipment in asking if I wanted one.

7. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Nice. Looking forward to your views. :)

8. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

Great company!! I used to have a pr of the ER4.

9. chaoticprout thread starter macrumors member

Holy crap: 3 major awesomes and 1 minor meh.

First the meh: The stem is a 'tiny' bit long, but i'm definetly going to get used to it.

Awesomes: Mics and headset sound amazing to me and friends and is in a great spot
    Noise isolation is seriously dumbfoundingly amazing. I didn't realize how great the isolation was.
    Finally: Sound quality is freaking awesome and clear. I love these. :D:D
    Any questions?

10. benjones macrumors regular

Wow they sound pretty good then?

I've been debating about these for a while now. Can't decide between these, the Sure SE530s or Q-Jays.

Have you ever used any IEMs before to compare to?

11. chaoticprout thread starter macrumors member

It's a bit low on bass, so if you're a bass whore I dunno. But I've used my friends $120 shure IEM (no idea on the model) and I prefer the hf2.

12. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Meh-wise: Stem? What do you mean by 'stem'?

Awesome-wise: How do you think the isolation would compare to the Ultimate Buds Etymotic/Apple iPhone Headset mash-up? Similarly with your other awesomes...

Thanks! :)

13. chaoticprout thread starter macrumors member

Well, the ER4p is better than the ER6, and you get a 1 year warranty with the hf2s from ety, on top of having an AWESOME mic (yes, awesome), hf2's are easily worth the extra cash.

By stem I mean the length of the triple flange tips. I cut mine down a bit and now they are perfect. These canalphones are too good sometimes, my friend was talking to me in the car and apparently I missed something important because of how great these are.

14. Grock900 macrumors newbie

convinced to get one now

15. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

They're excellent. I've had mine since April. :)

16. deccoo macrumors member

Etymotic in the UK?

Has anyone actually bought a pair of these in the UK? None of the sellers listed on the Etymotic site have them in stock and can't seem to find anywhere online in the UK that sells them?

Has anyone in the UK ordered them direct from Etymotic? If so, what was the shipping and duty on them?

17. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Originally I placed an order here:

http://www.pjbox.co.uk/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=442

Very nice guy runs the company and will be able to update you over the phone about stock expectation.

Eventually, I didn't wait for him to get stock because, having registered earlier with Etymotic directly, I got an email from them offering me 20% off. The order details were as follows:

Order Details:
    Quantity Number Description UnitPrice TotalPrice
    1 ER23-HF2 hf2 Headset + Earphones $143.20 $143.20

Sub Total: $143.20
    Tax: $0.00
    Shipping: $20.00
    Grand Total: $163.20

Discount Code: CP429hf2

That was about £85, and then I had to pay about £20 in vat and handling charges at this end. Overall I saved on the RRP over here and I got them before anyone had them in stock.

You can order directly from the manufacturer using the following link, but unfortunately the discount code has now expired.

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/hf2.aspx

18. deccoo macrumors member

Thanks for reply

I got an email from the lovely Roy at PJBox but unfortunately they aren't going to have them in stock for another month and will £120!

Will have a shuftey on Google to see if I can track down another discount code. Anyone know of any valid ones?

I had a pair of er6i and were honestly the best buds I have ever used. Hoping the hf2s are going to take that accolade!

19. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Wait...

You can just cut the stems off? Seems strange.

20. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

They're not THAT special. The highs are very pronounced with little to no lows to compensate. Great for classical. Awful for anything with bass; rap, jazz, even some heavy metal.

21. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

Could you recommend a good iPhone 3G pair then? I would like to have the Mic also without some adapter.

22. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I'm wondering if one of y'all who owns these Etymotic hf2s might be willing to bust out a ruler and measure them from tip to tip.

23. Grock900 macrumors newbie

Deals

Anyone know of any good deals for this? kinda expensive

24. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

People who complain of a lack of base usually aren't using them in accordance with the instructions. They have to be inserted far enough to create a proper seal. If you do that, the bass response will be accurate.

They are excellent! :)

25. HaroldC macrumors regular

Etymotics have always been known to be 'lacking' in bass. Their popularity is that they are amongst the most accurate IEM (In Ear Monitors) on the market. Very analytical sounding, exposing every detail very clearly.

There are other IEMs that do a better job in the bass area, but there are some trade offs with the detail.

I am constantly looking for some 'fun' IEMs, that are musical and have plenty of bass. It's a hobby that is dangerous on your wallet, not unlike the tech hobby that I also have (addiction is probably more accurate). Currently my favorites are the Atrio M5/M8, but unfortunately they don't have a mic. That's ok though, I just hold my phone with the mic pointed towards me, as I don't talk that much when I'm listening to music. I've had Etymotics, Shures, and Ultimate Ears, and now the Atrios. Maybe someday I'll take the plunge for customs......