Just ordered the Hitachi 5k500!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WorldIRC, May 19, 2008.

1. WorldIRC macrumors 6502

Hey All,
    I just ordered the Hitachi 5K500 500gb 2.5" SATA drive from OWC. I should have it tomorrow AM! Luckily that bad boy will fit in my 17" MBP. I was going to wait for the Samsung but I then figured I have always had good luck with Hitachi so I didn't wanna risk going Samsung!

I cant wait to do the upgrade (I've done HD swaps plenty times).

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Congrats; I'm waiting for the 4-platter designs. Don't want the 5-platter just in-case I want to put the drive into an external or another computer in the future.

3. WorldIRC thread starter macrumors 6502

MacRumors is shipping it with an enclosure as a package deal so I assume I will have the option for external compatibility :) I am likely to just pop my 320 in it and sell it though to get some cash. I have a 750gb external going now...I am just trying to get as much off of it as possible.

I wish they could just give me a 1tb already and that would be it for externals for me!

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I hope you mean OWC :p

I know they give you an external, but I'm more concerned about, say I buy a 15" MBP and it won't fit the 5-platter and I want to upgrade my 17". Why would I spend the same money and get a 5-platter when I can wait and get a 4-platter?

Meh.. I'll probably end up with the Hitachi 5-platter :rolleyes:

5. WorldIRC thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow did I say Mac Rumors..*chuckles*. Yes Larry and the gang are selling me the drive.

the only reason I'm not waiting for Samsung is because...well, it's Samsung. When I hear hard drive...Samsung does not pop in my head. Hitachi and Seagate have proven their reliability to me...and WD has given me no problems thus far...so I am willing to grab the Hitachi 5platter now since I only use the 17" MBP. We'll see what the future brings out though!

6. WorldIRC thread starter macrumors 6502

I got the drive! I can't install it until late tonight though when I get home! Man is this thing thick. Doesn't even fit in the Enclosure that OWC offers with the drive. *LARRY YOU SHOULD MENTION THIS ON THE SITE. Here's to now hoping that the drive will actually fit in the MBP 17"

In any event, I still need the enclosure for my old drive so I can swap everything.

7. WorldIRC thread starter macrumors 6502

Everythings done! Drive fits in 17" MBP with lotsa room to spare! Drive is fast and quiet! So far so good!

8. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Hmm, I wonder why it wouldn't fit in the 15"... from what I've seen they've got the same amount of room where it counts, but it might not be as similar as I think, it's been a while since I've opened one up.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Nice.

I just found new $700 120GB SSD drives are now available... :eek:

BTW, you on HoFo?

10. WorldIRC thread starter macrumors 6502

I am....

11. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

I think it is because the 15" can not take 12.5mm but the 17" can. The 15" can take 9.5mm

12. WorldIRC thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya to the Naked eye, 3mm may not be visible..but when you actually pop the drive in there, you would see it won't fit!

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I think it's also since the 17" is more spaced out, so the drive can sit lower. If I'm correct the 15" bluetooth is on the top case above the HDD. On the 17", it's on the side of the HDD, so there is no obstructions on the 17" model.

14. WorldIRC thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes the bluetooth module sits in the space on the left side of the hard drive.