Just ordered the iPad mini 4

Discussion in 'iPad' started by The Game 161, Oct 15, 2015.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

maybe I am an idiot seeing as I have

iPhone 6S plus
    iPad Air 2
    MacBook Pro

Got 40 days to return it if needed. I'm buying it for on the go for taking It to work and weekends away, Hoilday etc

Will see if it's needed or pointless having all these devices

2. jlp2979 macrumors 6502

Of course it's pointless. That said, most of us are enthusiasts and will agree that your setup is awesome. If you can afford it why not? There are certain tasks the Mini is better suited for than the Air, and the same applies for all your iDevices. Working out is a big one for me, the Mini fits perfectly onto the dashboard of most machines and is the perfect gym companion. I can watch live TV or stream anything while working out. The Air 2 was too big for that (for me). Mini is much more comfortable to hold (not that the Air is bad at all) in general when just doing basic browsing or reading.

I also have a 13" retina MBP that is my portable work machine and living room couch surfer. No point in me getting the Air 2, I'd rather use the MBP when at home doing general tasks. Same thing with me and iPhone 6s+, it is too big as a phone and too small as a tablet. So my current combo is 13" rMBP, iPhone 6s, Mini 4.

To each his own. I say keep your Mini and enjoy it, it's a great little device that I didn't expect to like as much as I do.

3. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

Ha yeah as long as i have find a use for all my devices thats the main thing.

As long as my air 2 still gets good use at home thats the main thing. I can't really take the air 2 to work as it is simply too big and noticeable. With the mini it won't look as obvious when i'm using it.

it is also smaller enough to carry around quite easily.

4. wchigo macrumors 6502

wchigo

If you want, you can easily find a need for them. My current setup is fairly similar:

iPhone 6s Plus
    iPad Air 2
    iPad Mini 4
    12" MacBook

Mac is basically just for work, iPad use is split between the two (air more for videos, mini more for browsing) and also shared with the gf and the phone is the phone. :p

Did you get the cellular version or just stuck with the wifi-only?

5. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

Got the cellular version

128GB on contract where it cost £40 upfront

6. canuckRus macrumors 6502

canuckRus

40 days to return it? How possible? Thought 14 days the normal maximum limit.

7. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

it's 40 for phones but it appears got 14 on contract with tablets

8. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

Seems a bit redundant to me to have a "phablet" and two tablets, but whatever floats your boat.

Although, Have you even thought of trading in one of your 3 iOS devices for something Android? At least that partly justifies the redundancy. I recently got a Mini 4 but I don't want to get rid of my Nexus 7 (which I don't really use anymore) because it is my only way of keeping up with the Android universe. I like to keep a foot in each pool, so to speak. It keeps me objective.

9. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

If you can afford it... Do what you will. My current set up is:

6s Plus
    Air 2
    12" Retina MacBook

I like using the Air 2 while on the couch or in bed. And the MacBook I use for extensive task. I had the Mini... I like the size of it for portability, but I prefer the larger iPad. And the 6s Plus helps fill the void of the Mini in terms of portability. But IMO, if you had the 6s.. Then having a Mini, Air, MacBook.. Makes sense. But that's entirely up to you.

10. newellj macrumors 601

The Plus and the Mini might be have some potential overlap, but that's an individual call. I don't feel there's any practical overlap with my setup:

iPhone 6
    iPad Mini 4
    iPad Air 2
    13" rMBP

11. erasr macrumors 6502

Most ordinary people would say the two iPads overlap.

I sold my Air and stuck with mini. Best move ever. Haven't missed the Air one bit.

12. newellj macrumors 601

That's really a personal choice and I understand others would feel that way. I've thought about ditching one or the other, but I would miss (1) the portability of the Mini and (2) the bigger screen of the Air 2. OTOH, if one of them got lost or dropped, I'm not sure I'd worry about replacing it, which tells you something. ;)

13. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

I have the S6 edge so wouldn’t need to go back android. I use my edge for showbox and WSS and thats it. Too buggy for me generally. The mini 4 will be my main usage when at work really and when i need something smaller. As long as my air 2 doesn’t just sit there collecting dust I think it’s worth it If I make use of these devices. Will see after the first week or so of having the mini 4.

14. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

Suppose it depends on your main usage. The mini 4 will be used at work, watching football and NBA on weekends. Also at home i can use the air 2 while the misses can use the mini 4. So i’m expecting both get equal use.

15. jaybar macrumors 6502

jaybar

Does the Mini 4 have 2GB of RAM and the same split screen features as the Air 2?

16. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

So did I. Ordered it through Costco so I get a 90 day return policy. Its my first ever iPad so I hope I like it lol.

I have 6S, ipad mini 4, 2009 MBP on its final legs

17. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

Yup. Mini 4 has 2gigs and capable of doing the Split-Screen.

18. shanshor macrumors regular

Eh. I have a 13" MBPr, iPad 2, Surface Pro 3, and Desktop PC. I have different uses for all of them. Considering returning the iPad tho.

19. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

Yeah sure does

20. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

I would hardly call it pointless. Suboptimal maybe. Indulgent definitely. But as long as you them all, it's definitely got a point.

21. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

22. wchigo macrumors 6502

wchigo

Congrats! Hope you enjoy! Looks like you also bought a Smart Cover... black?

23. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

Yeah bought a cheap one on Amazon for now. Not sure wether to get the new one from Apple or not