Just Ordered the Refurb Alum 2.0GHz Macbook :D

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CSilver, Jan 27, 2009.

1. CSilver macrumors 6502

Hello :D I am finally a :apple:boy ;D~
    I am very very excited it to come to my house~ I know the box won't be fancy but it saved me quite of money this way so I am very pleased~
    I just hope I would get a fine looking (inside and outside) Macbook :D

I do have a question though, I was very confused and unsure about the iLife 09 shipping with my Refurb Macbook. I know it is a Refurb so I heard people saying it won't be included in the package yet I do wonder how the paying for 9? or 10 dollars CAD to get iLife 09... I just think it isn't convenient and not fair for me to not get the iLife 09 included...:C

What are your thoughts?? If I have to buy it, will I able to buy it from Apple Retail store such as Bestbuy for the same price apple offers?($7.00~$10.00?)

2. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

No, if it's not included with the refurb then you can't just walk into best buy and tell them to give you $80 software for $10 just cause you said so. :p

You will have to get it from Apple online. I would also try calling the Apple store to see if they will do it, but my guess is they wont.

3. CSilver thread starter macrumors 6502

That's unfortunate.... I think I will give it a shot and call apple customer center... Hopefully they will include one in there...Thanks for they reply ;D

4. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

wait for it to come

fill in the online forum with the date of purchase and bang 9 bucks

5. yojimbo1 macrumors member

My understanding is that you are entitled to free ilife '09.

There seem to be different opinions about whether ilife will be preloaded on your MB or whether a disc will be included in your box.

6. CSilver thread starter macrumors 6502

I just called the Customer Service and she told me that it might and it might not have it in the package :confused: And yes she explained the UP TO DATE program for iLife 09. I guess I will just have to wait and see ...-fingers crossed-

Thanks for the reply ;D

7. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

8. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

It'll be $13CAD + tax for iLife 09. If you wait a week or two, it's likely that it'll be included, but for now, it's only an extra $15.

9. CSilver thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess its too late for me... $15 dollars really pisses me off lol....I should of have waited just another week or so...:mad:

Although, the operator told me there is 50% of me getting it in the box...

Hopefully... hopefully I will have it in the box :C

10. Psychmike macrumors regular

I'd feel the same way but try to think about it this way: If you waited another week for iLife '09 to be shipped with your laptop, in a few months when Snow Leopard is released, you'll wish that you had waited for that. If you wait for Snow Leopard, in a few more months they might upgrade the Macbooks.

Buy what you need/want and can afford, and don't look back. Whatever you bought will always be able to perform the functions you bought it for. I buy a new DSLR every 3-4 years. 6 months later, the price plunges but I've enjoyed my camera for all that time.

Don't let the things you own (or want to own) end up controlling your life!

Best,

Mike

11. CSilver thread starter macrumors 6502

Argg... I totally forgot forgot about the Snow Leopard... ahaha.... dang...
    I have been researching these stuff and I just made the biggest mistake of not waiting lol....I waited almost 3 months already...

Thank you so much for your advice... I guess I won't be looking back...Who knows... I might not even need SL...
    -CHRIS-
    p.s. Have you handled Canon 1000D? I am very interested in that product :p

12. Psychmike macrumors regular

Seriously, don't worry about Snow Leopard. 6 months after that comes out Apple will be releasing SOMETHING for the new academic year. You've brought a GREAT new laptop! Enjoy it!

I have the Rebel XT and the Nikon D90. You can't go wrong with Canon or Nikon's SLRs in terms of image quality. If you're looking for good manual controls, however (2 control wheels, one set for aperture, one for shutter speed) and a decent viewfinder, you've got to step up to the Canon 40D/50D or Nikon D80/90.

I come from old school film and Nikon cameras feel more like proper tools to me whereas Canons tend to feel like electronic gadgets. Just personal preference.

If you can afford it and don't mind lugging it around, get the D90 and 18-105 kit lens. They're simply awesome in terms of low noise and good dynamic range. If you don't want the bulk, I've heard nothing but amazing things about Panasonic's LX3.

Don't plan on doing serious image work on your new Macbook though. Those TN panels aren't very accurate in terms of gamma and color. My understanding is that even the MacBook Pros use TN panels. I have a Dell Ultra Sharp with an IPS screen and it's much, much better. Some Thinkpads had these types of screens in the past. Compare the iMac 20- and 24-inch screens to see the difference. Does ANYONE make a laptop with an IPS panel these days?

Best,
    Mike

13. CSilver thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks mike ;D for replying. I would like to understand what you are saying but lol I am not involved in or know any of the digital photography. I would love to get into it so that is why I asked about the entry level? of Canon 1000D :p. Since I am a college student I just want to grow and learn from something that will lead me to a better understanding of Digital photography. Thank you again for the reply and if you have any advice for the first timer for the DSLR please let me know ;D
    -Chris-

14. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I bet they will give it to you for free if its not included. Just call and tell them you thought it would be included since you bought the laptop after iLife 09 came out.

15. CSilver thread starter macrumors 6502

The macbook came today in unexpected way that I almost thought they sent a rock in a fugly box :eek: I was on my way to the Library and here he comes~
    lol I just got to open it now and guess what~ the iLife 09 was included even though the description did not mention anything about it haha~

I am very excited yet confused cause this is my first mac and I don't know what is going on lol I just installed iLife 09 and planning on install Firefox etc:p

Thank you all for the replies~ Problem has been solved ;D