Just ordered Tomb Raider: Anniversary

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by ghall, Feb 19, 2008.

1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

So i've never really played much of the Tomb Raider series. I played the original one a little bit when it first came out, but other than that I haven't played it at all. I've always been aware of it's existence, and when I heard that Tomb Raider came back to the Mac with Anniversary, I decided to give the demo a try. Basically, I fell in love with the demo (isn't that what a demo is for) and I just ordered the full game direct from Feral Interactive.

It seems like a really fun game, and Lara Croft's hotness is just a bonus. :p

So did I make a good choice? When can I expect to get the game in, since I ordered it direct from Feral Interactive? What are your thoughts on the game?

2. chinarider macrumors regular

Nice Game

Its basically a re-do of the first Tombraider - It brought back alot of memories for those of us that did the original. The levels are very much the same, but of course better gfx and gameplay.

re: the "hotness" bonus: Dude, dont forget - She's just a Toon :)

3. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Hey, what are you trying to say? I have a girlfriend, so I don't need to fantasize about toons. :p

4. chinarider macrumors regular

Its just funny - Back when TR was released Lara turned thousands of teenage geeks into slobbering oversexed idiots in need of cold showers.

Every other thread on the boards was the question "Where can I d/l the Lara Nude patch?"

I guess someone started THAT little rumor which made things even worse.

Sure - She looks a heck of a lot better than Gordon Freeman! But your post just brought up all those memories of 10 years ago. :)

5. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I've been trying to download the demo but can't. The page keeps giving me an error.

6. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

god i really want to buy this game!!!!
    how much did it cost?

BTW: She is VeRy hot, i agree with you there ghall.;)

7. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

Tomb Raider 3 and Chronicles are the best ones in my opinion. :D

8. Macjames macrumors 6502a

I'm a tomb raider fan since way back when the first game was launched, I though anniversary was a brilliant remake and i really hope they bring the new one (underworld) to mac. I was really surprised to find it worked beautifully on my macbook and despite owing the pc version i could be tempted to order a mac one.

9. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I played the original a bit. Is there a demo of anniversary for the mac? I couldn't find it on the website, but the OP implied it was available for OSX.

10. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

Angelina Jolie ain't no toon.

11. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

She used to live opposite my aunt and uncle. Well, 'owned a mansion nearby' is more accurate. Somewhere just outside of Slough, near London, UK. Probably sold it when the Office became popular :)

And no I never saw her.

12. LangleyAls macrumors member

13. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Yay thanks. Strangely doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere on the first few pages of the Eidos website. Way to grow the Mac market.

Boo sucks. It won't work on my brand new C2D MB with 2.2ghz and 4GB ram??

14. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

The Mac version is published by Feral Interactive.
    http://www.feralinteractive.com/?game=tombraider

15. chinarider macrumors regular

True - But if you remember, Jolie came into the Franchise late. She's just the star of a so-so movie series based on an already extremely popular game series.

And we are speaking of the Lara from the game, Not the movie.

16. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Downloaded it and tried it out anyway. Surprise, it works!

Played through the first 2 or 3 checkpoints before it froze, locking my macbook forcing a hard reboot. Not sure if that was cos it was a demo or cos I didn't bother to install the full demo, just ran it off the disk image as a test.

Ah same old tricky controls, and ledge handstands :)

17. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

"A Universal (Intel and PPC) version of the game will be made available in the new year."

that's written on the Feral Interactive page. That doesn't mean that this is a Cider game, right?

18. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Tried the demo again, and it froze again, after about 20 minutes, same time as before, in a different location.

Guess that's what they mean by not supporting integrated graphics. Shame as that's a large part of Apple's output and apart from the freeze after 20 mins, it worked perfectly fine.

19. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

Perhaps the UB that they later release will work on the integrated cards.

It definitely is frustrating though that the graphics card on my old Rev A iBook G4 supported more games than the new macbooks : \

20. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

Runs great!

I dowloaded the demo and played a good portion of it. It runs amazingly well! I have all settings on, 1920x1200 (Dell 24 external), and 2x AA. I can't notice even the slightest slowdown of any kind. VERY IMPRESIVE!

I'll be buying this for sure. The original was amazing and my favorite TR, and this game brings that back.

I'm also pleased its on the Mac, I was going to look for a Wii, but this is much better!

21. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

thats funny...i finished the entire demo without any problems or lag.
    but this game DEFINITELY works on a Macbook.

22. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

That's cool - what settings did you have it on? Maybe they'll work on mine too.

Can't remember what settings I had, but my macbook is a C2D 2.2ghz with 4gb ram.

23. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

I have it on fairly high settings...I have the same model notebook as you with only 2gb of ram.

Attached Files:

24. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

I just got it in yesterday, I got to the T-Rex and I think there's a bug with the adrenaline dodge, no matter how hard I try it won't work.

25. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

I liked it. The first Tomb Raider is one of my favorite all time games, I played it on the sega saturn. It was one of the first 3D games that encouraged exploring, and the level designs were extremely good. Tomb Raider 2 had its moment but the games after that were terrible, Legend really brought the series back.

For the most part the game is the same, many levels have some stuff changed though, like the order you have to accomplish things or the layout was tweaked a little. Some of the levels are very different though, like the mines. Also some story elements/cinematics have changed.

My only complaint is that it doesnt use next gen graphics like Legend did. It uses the PS2 engine from Legend but with high res textures. It still looks good while having very low system requirements but the next gen engine would have made it a lot better. The intel integrated graphics should be able to easily handle this game, if it doesnt in OSX then it would work in Windows.