Just out of curiosity...how this works?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maceatsapple, Oct 28, 2011.

1. maceatsapple macrumors newbie

Hello,

There is one thing I am really curious.

I have seen some smart app(iPhone/Android) claims that this app allows you to send FREE text/call/or whatever data might be over 3G/4G.

(Actually, they are claiming it is free regardless of plan you have, which means data fee won't be charged at all by using this app. Actually, it is indeed true according to my experience)

The thing that I am curious is that how they do this at the application side??
    Obviously, if the user has unlimited 3G/4G data plan, they don't care, though.

When they develop the sort of these app, do they have any magic code that they use in the code in order to provide free 3G/4G service for any users??..

I don't think so...

The company/or personal developed the app....they have a sort of contract with a carrier that this app somehow should not be charged for data plan??
    Then how the carrier keep track of every app that has requested for free data plan service from the company?

I don't think this is possible either..

Just curious how this can be done...

Thanks,

2. phreebsd macrumors regular

the text uses cellular data not text data on your plan.

3. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

4. maceatsapple thread starter macrumors newbie

Whenever the app uses data over 3G, it is charged according to ur plan
    Right? If u have unlimited plan, forget about this question.
    How this app uses the data without affecting ur data plan?

5. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

It uses data from your data plan

6. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

It just uses data bro

It doesn't affect your data plan unless you're on WiFi

7. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

It does use your data plan, but that amount of data it is sending and receiving is extremely small. So long as you aren't on an extremely restricted data plan it will most likely be entirely negligible to you.

8. maceatsapple thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think this is true. I see some app that claims "free video call over 3g".
    I am sure that there should be bunch of data exchanging for video/voice data over 3g...
    If this app wasn't free and your data plan was not enough to handle this, you would end up being charged tons of money cuz of data usage from that application.

9. maceatsapple thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it uses data from your plan, but the difference is whether it is billable or not. In other words, as long as you have data plan that can cover the data usage of the application, that should be OK. However, if the app uses exceed data over your plan, that should be charged generally. However, what this app claims, it WON'T charge you. That's what I am curious how they could do this.

10. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

What app is this? App developers generally don't make deals with carriers, and it's highly unlikely this app has such deal to continue non billable data consumption.

11. takeshi74 macrumors 601

The OP is misinterpreting what was read. No app can guarantee free data. The app(s) in question just uses data instead of messaging (SMS/MMS) or voice minutes. Whether the data usage through the carrier is actually free or not is between the user and the carrier.

12. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

13. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Well, then you think wrong. Sorry, there is just no other way to look at it. It says "free" because you aren't paying a usage charge for the app itself, it just uses the data you already pay for.

Multiple people have told you this, and you are simply refusing to believe it. You asked how it works, we told you.

14. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

the apps service is "free", so it won't cost you to be able to text someone using the app. but you have to either use it on wifi or have a data plan. a majority of users have to have a data plan regardless but may not want to pay for a texting plan on top of the data plan. So they just pay a data plan and use the free texting app that uses their data that they pay for. If you have access to wifi it won't affect how much data is used on ur data plan bc u aren't using it.

----------

that's right, the app doesn't charge you for data use. that's between you and your carrier. if you go over your data plan that is your fault not the free app.